Re: Fox hunt Timer

  • mike_w8der
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
      Jim, Looks like you have an interesting idea there. I ordered a couple of K8EL keyers to give it a try also. Setting the keyers for a 60 second transmission would be just about right. Also that's an interesting collection of NE555 applications.

      Mike@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
        Hi Mike... Did you reply to the correct "Jim" ?

        ======================= JHR =======================

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
          James,

          Yes -- I think I did, but you never know with Yahoo.  I was replying to Jim, KC8pcj, from Muskegon.  Jim is making a fox box timer with a 555 and a keyer to replace the microphone to keyer one he had in the last hunt.  The $17 dollar K1EL keyer will play a 90 second code message and then shut off -- looks nice and it goes right down the PIC Microcontroller road I am traveling now.

          (I replied to Jim from the Yahoo site.)

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
            I have the timing using a 6.8K resistor for R1, a 2 meg of resistor on R2B and a 100 mf Cap and 0 resistance on R2A. The timer has a high output that turns on the relay for about .75 sec and is off for 4 min. Relay trips keyer memory 1 which plays a 1 min cw msg that I program into the keyer like the msg we used at last Muskegon hunt. Keyer output option "O") is set to stay on while msg is playing.

            I am making cable with same interface connectors that I use with my packet TNC. Will have one cable from keyer that will use TNC cable for the radio I choose. RS HTX242, Icom T90 or Yeasu ft8900 or 847.

            My TNC goes to a 5 pin din. The other cables adapt the 5-pin din to which ever radio I am using. I will post a picture of the test board with all the gator clip wires of the test version (ugly but works). Now that I know the values I need I will clean it up and put it in a box. All will be power by 12V and should fit with room to spare in my ammo can.

            I will try to create  schematic for this also.

            73s
            Jim
            KC8PCJ

            Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 9:26 AM