Fox hunt Timer

  • kc8pcj
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2010
      Just finished my first version of my fox timer circuit. It uses a 555 timer chip. Still have to tweak the timing a bit, but the current version is turning on an Green LED and relay for 1 sec every 4 min and 10 sec, red LED is on during the timing cycle. I am going to put a switch that will change between relay output and a buzzer for use without keyer. Relay will activate my k1el k12 memory keyer http://k1el.tripod.com/K12.html which will play a one min message in code on FM (voice keyer in the future). So far timer is build out of spare parts and keyer I had from a past project. Keyer is capable of six pre recorded CW msg and can be set up to key your CW radio or used on FM voice. It will key the transmitter and send the msg at the push of a button (relay).

      for timer circuit see  basic circuits for LM555 timer circuit #4. I will update the group on the exact spec when I have them complete.

      Next is to work on multiple timing switches (easy) and DTMF control(harder).

      73s
      Jim
      KC8PCJ

    • mike_w8der
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
        Jim, Looks like you have an interesting idea there. I ordered a couple of K8EL keyers to give it a try also. Setting the keyers for a 60 second transmission would be just about right. Also that's an interesting collection of NE555 applications.

        Mike@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
          Hi Mike... Did you reply to the correct "Jim" ?

          ======================= JHR =======================

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
            James,

            Yes -- I think I did, but you never know with Yahoo.  I was replying to Jim, KC8pcj, from Muskegon.  Jim is making a fox box timer with a 555 and a keyer to replace the microphone to keyer one he had in the last hunt.  The $17 dollar K1EL keyer will play a 90 second code message and then shut off -- looks nice and it goes right down the PIC Microcontroller road I am traveling now.

            (I replied to Jim from the Yahoo site.)

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
              I have the timing using a 6.8K resistor for R1, a 2 meg of resistor on R2B and a 100 mf Cap and 0 resistance on R2A. The timer has a high output that turns on the relay for about .75 sec and is off for 4 min. Relay trips keyer memory 1 which plays a 1 min cw msg that I program into the keyer like the msg we used at last Muskegon hunt. Keyer output option "O") is set to stay on while msg is playing.

              I am making cable with same interface connectors that I use with my packet TNC. Will have one cable from keyer that will use TNC cable for the radio I choose. RS HTX242, Icom T90 or Yeasu ft8900 or 847.

              My TNC goes to a 5 pin din. The other cables adapt the 5-pin din to which ever radio I am using. I will post a picture of the test board with all the gator clip wires of the test version (ugly but works). Now that I know the values I need I will clean it up and put it in a box. All will be power by 12V and should fit with room to spare in my ammo can.

              I will try to create  schematic for this also.

              73s
              Jim
              KC8PCJ

              Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 9:26 AM