BCARC Fox Hunt

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2010
      Hi Mike,

      The idea of a collaborative hunt comes from the primary reason for our hidden transmitter hunts: Develop equipment and skills that will allow our ARES/RACES group to track down a person or persons who maliciously jam Public Safety or amateur radio systems.

      In a real world situation, someone with a old public safety radio picked up at a garage sale or hamfest could easily paralyze central dispatch or any number of radio systems in the county. If (when) called upon to locate the "offending signal", we would coordinate with each other to locate the transmitter rather than complete with each other.

      Don't get me wrong, the competition is great, but when the chips are down, we talk to each other and share our information towards our common goal.

      For practice purposes, we utilize our 2M repeater for the coordination. Again in a real world situation, using a known communication medium would not be a good idea and we would use "other means" of communication to track our target down.

      As for using two fox boxes (competitive hunt), one idea we had was to have the frequency of the second transmitter posted on the 1st fox box. In order to hunt the second half, you have to complete the first half. I think that would be tough to do in an evening hunt as it could take a considerable amount of time for everyone to find two transmitters. Some hunters are more skilled than others and those lesser skilled hunters could take quite a while to get through a double hunt. I could see us running out of daylight. Sounds like a Saturday to me.

      We have talked about coming up to Holland/GR for a hunt, but it sure is a long ways to go in an evening, especially after a long day at work. Saturday hunt?

      Thats it from Branch County for now. I hope to see you at the Battle Creek hunt.

      73,

      Larry, WB8R