Results of last night's Bring Back The Flag Fox Hunt

  • mike@w8der.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2010
        "Bring Home the Flag Fox Hunt", July 21, 2010
      First Place:
        Laryn Lohman, K8TVZ, 7.7 miles

      Second Place:
        Team Ottawa: Tom and Sheila Bosscher, K8TB and K8AJ  10.3 miles *arrived first
        Team Kent:  Jim and Mike Wolthuis  KB8ZGK and KB8BBL  10.3 miles

      Third Place:
        James Richards and Chuck Nowak, K8JHR and AJ8W 13.2 miles
      Fourth Place:
        Robert Holton, Jim Leys and Mike Hill, K8USP, KD8CAN, W8DER 14.2 miles

      The Wednesday night  'Bring Home the Flag" foxhunt was nothing short of AWSOME!  Our Fox, Bob Robinson, KD8HNF, did a fantastic job putting together a textbook hunt that required an ideal balance between radio direction finding skills and orienteering skills.  Bob did a lot of planning and testing to be sure that his signal was available over almost the full search area. The result was an especially enjoyable hunt for all of us.
      As a "hiding place" Bob selected an observation platform approximately seventy feet in the air. The platform was located on the side of a modified farm silo in a little known park between Grand River Drive and the Grand River itself on the east side of Grand Rapids.  There was little chance to sneak up on the fox as he had great view if the countryside around his perch.
      The real challenge was getting from the starting point at the Red Cross Building to the Park.  The area by the river is characterized by winding roads that don't seem to go anywhere in particular before they come to a dead end.  Backtracking to major roads cost almost everyone a lot of time and mileage.
      The winner, however did an almost perfect job of navigating the course.  Laryn Lohman, K8TVZ, of the Holland ARC, did a fantastic job of locating the Fox while traveling just 7.1 miles.  That is a nearly perfect hunt for Laryn.

      We would like to thank Bob, KD8HNF for all the hard work and planning he did for this hunt.  We would like to also thank Rich Ranta of the MARA club for being our safety communicator, making sure everything went smoothly.  Also thanks again to Jim Leys who is getting awfully good as our official hunt starter. These are the guys who made our Wednesday evening so much fun!  Thank you
      The next MichiganFoxHunter.Com Foxhunt is Wednesday, August 18th.
      Use the following link for pictures and more information about the hunt.
      Project Guy.