IRA Swap Fox Hunt June 5, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2010
      It was a dark and stormy night.

      Ok, it was very sunny afternoon. A group of hunters and hunter
      wannabees gathered at the main gate at 1PM at the Hudsonville
      Fairgrounds. Right at 1pm, K8AJ and K8TB fired up a 25 year old box of
      silicon, set it to oscillate a little more than 145 million times a
      second, and began a 1 min on, 2 min off sequence of taunting the hunters.

      The "hidden" location? A county park? A large shopping mall?
      Nestled in a residential neighborhood?

      Nope, Sheila and Tom found some county dirt roads that service
      some old gravel pits, located on the east side of Jenison, within flying
      distance of the Jenison International Airport. 12th Avenue is the name
      of road. Long, dirt poor and a major port for tanker sized mosquitoes.
      One had to cut across 6 or 7 miles of the dense Jenison residential
      neighborhoods to even get close to this perverted location..

      Anyway, the rules state "he/she who drives the least number of
      miles"... wins. That would belong to James, K8JHR and Chuck AJ8W. They
      clocked in at 1 hour and ten minutes, but at only 9.9 miles. Just 2
      minutes before them was Laryn, K8TVZ, however, due to his smaller sized
      tires, Laryn clocked 10.3 miles :)

      Up for third is father and son team, Jim, KB8ZGK and Mike, KB8ZGL.
      They showed up with 1 hour and 27 minutes, with a mileage of 10.7 miles.
      This is only their second hunt. That indicates a stunning performance.
      In fourth place, we had Bob, N8UYC and Lee, KD8IUI at 1 hour and 45
      minutes with 18.3 miles. Bob said something like, "This is fun, I'll be
      back".

      We had two other teams that did not find the fox after the two hour
      time limit. That means we had a six car hunt, not bad at all.

      Special thanks goes to Mike, W8DER for hosting the IRA swap Fox
      Hunt. Mike gave a talk to the a group just preceding the "tip off" time.

      Of note, this hunt was sponsored by the IRA, and as such, James
      and Chuck get to find and transmit from a hidden location at next year's
      swap.

      We are looking forward to it.

      vy 73 de Sheila K8AJ and Tom K8TB