487CCC On-The-Air Weekend

  • kg8jk
    Nov 24, 2013
       CCC On-The-Air Weekend

      The Civilian Conservation Corps came into being in the spring of 1933. It's goal was twofold: to provide needed economic relief to families suffering from the effects of the Great Depression and to protect and develop the natural resources of the United States. We want to honor the contribution that "The Boys" of the corps made to our country and to our natural environment by holding the first annual CCC On-The-Air Weekend. The event will take place the second full weekend in August, 2014. As radio played a big part in how the camps communicated with each other, we would encourage you to activate the actual location of one of the camps. However, if it is no longer accessible or you cannot get permission to set up on the site, you may operate from one of the project sites the camp worked on. Many state local parks have buildings that were constructed by the "CCC Boys" and would make a suitable place to not only honor them but also promote amateur radio at the same time. Our goal is to make contacts between as many of the camps as possible and to contact as many amateur radio operators as possible. Please spread the word and contact kg8jk at ccc@... if your are interested in participating. We would also love to hear your stories of the CCC. Check out our website at www.qsl.net/ccc for more information.