Re: Where oh where to operate?

  • kf6a
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
      Bruce,

      Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software apps for that.

      I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it is unlimited.

      Dan KF6A...

      --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

      > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
      > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
      > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
      > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the advanced
      > settings like datum or WAAS.
      >
      > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
      > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
      > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
      >
      > 73,
      > Bruce KT8TD
    • Bruce Graham
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
        Dan,

        Thanks for the tip.  The download was only seconds, and once I walked outside It acquired a bunch of satellites.  I'll play with it some more.

        73,
        Bruce KT8TD

        On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:

        Bruce,

        Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software apps for that.

        I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it is unlimited.

        Dan KF6A...

        --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

        > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
        > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
        > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
        > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the advanced
        > settings like datum or WAAS.
        >
        > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
        > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
        > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
        >
        > 73,
        > Bruce KT8TD

      • kf6a
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
          Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.

          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png

          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png

          I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.

          Dan...

          --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

          > Dan,
          >
          > Thanks for the tip. The download was only seconds, and once I walked
          > outside It acquired a bunch of satellites. I'll play with it some more.
          >
          > 73,
          > Bruce KT8TD
          >
          > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Bruce,
          > >
          > > Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I
          > > use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software
          > > apps for that.
          > >
          > > I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new
          > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
          > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
          > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
          > > is unlimited.
          > >
          > > Dan KF6A...
          > >

          > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
          > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
          > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
          > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
          > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
          > > >
          > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
          > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
          > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
          > > >
          > > > 73,
          > > > Bruce KT8TD

        • kf6a
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
            Turns out my new android phone works with GPS test. Those screen shots are from my new phone. :-)

            Dan KF6A...

            --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

            > Dan,
            >
            > Thanks for the tip. The download was only seconds, and once I walked
            > outside It acquired a bunch of satellites. I'll play with it some more.
            >
            > 73,
            > Bruce KT8TD
            >
            > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Bruce,
            > >
            > > Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I
            > > use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software
            > > apps for that.
            > >
            > > I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new
            > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
            > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
            > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
            > > is unlimited.
            > >
            > > Dan KF6A...
            > >

            > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
            > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
            > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
            > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
            > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
            > > >
            > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
            > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
            > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
            > > >
            > > > 73,
            > > > Bruce KT8TD

          • kf6a
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
              Here is the info required for activating multiple grids from the ARRL. Here's the link. http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Vucc/VUCC%20Rules%202012.pdf

              "(e) Stations who claim to operate from more than one grid locator simultaneously (i.e., from the boundary between two
              grid locators or from the intersection of four grid locators) must be physically present in all locators to give multiple
              locator credit with a single contact. These stations should be prepared to validate their claim. For a mobile station,
              this means parking the vehicle exactly on the line or corner. For a portable station, this means that the total area
              occupied by the station's physical setup, including operating position(s), power source(s), and antenna(s), must
              occupy some portion of each of the two/four grid squares simultaneously. Operators of boundary/corner stations
              should be prepared to provide evidence of meeting the simultaneous occupation test if called upon to do so. Two
              photographs – one showing the placement of the GPS receiver in the station setup, and a close-up legibly showing
              the GPS reading – are typically needed as evidence of compliance. Video footage showing an overview of the
              operating site and then, uncut and in real time, zooming in on the GPS display coordinates is even better.
              (f) Grid boundary lines and grid corners must be established using a GPS receiver whose map datum is set to WGS84,
              the global default for current GPS receivers. The GPS receiver should be set to use WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation
              System) if so equipped, since this improves the error figure to as little as 5 feet. In no case may the GPS receiver
              show an error figure in excess of 20 feet. Any modern GPS receiver equipped with WAAS will easily meet this
              requirement, as will most older units without WAAS."

              Dan KF6A...

              --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, "kf6a" <kf6a@...> wrote:

              > Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.
              >
              > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png
              >
              > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png
              >
              > I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.
              >

              > Dan...

            • Bruce Graham
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
                Hi Dan,

                Thanks for posting this info.  Jim sent me the same stuff a couple of days ago and that is what motivated me to start the email reflector (aka this group).  The GPS Test screenshots are the same as on my phone, but I could not firgure out how to save a screen shot.  What is the magic key/finger/gesture sequence?

                LOL
                Bruce KT8TD

                On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:

                Here is the info required for activating multiple grids from the ARRL. Here's the link. http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Vucc/VUCC%20Rules%202012.pdf

                "(e) Stations who claim to operate from more than one grid locator simultaneously (i.e., from the boundary between two
                grid locators or from the intersection of four grid locators) must be physically present in all locators to give multiple
                locator credit with a single contact. These stations should be prepared to validate their claim. For a mobile station,
                this means parking the vehicle exactly on the line or corner. For a portable station, this means that the total area
                occupied by the station's physical setup, including operating position(s), power source(s), and antenna(s), must
                occupy some portion of each of the two/four grid squares simultaneously. Operators of boundary/corner stations
                should be prepared to provide evidence of meeting the simultaneous occupation test if called upon to do so. Two
                photographs – one showing the placement of the GPS receiver in the station setup, and a close-up legibly showing
                the GPS reading – are typically needed as evidence of compliance. Video footage showing an overview of the
                operating site and then, uncut and in real time, zooming in on the GPS display coordinates is even better.
                (f) Grid boundary lines and grid corners must be established using a GPS receiver whose map datum is set to WGS84,
                the global default for current GPS receivers. The GPS receiver should be set to use WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation
                System) if so equipped, since this improves the error figure to as little as 5 feet. In no case may the GPS receiver
                show an error figure in excess of 20 feet. Any modern GPS receiver equipped with WAAS will easily meet this
                requirement, as will most older units without WAAS."

                Dan KF6A...

                --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, "kf6a" <kf6a@...> wrote:

                > Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.
                >
                > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png
                >
                > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png
                >
                > I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.
                >

                > Dan...

              • kf6a
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
                  Each phone is different. On my Galaxy S3 you press and hold the power and home buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds. You also might be able to swipe your palm across the screen, that is another "shortcut" for some samsung phones I think?

                • Russell Dwarshuis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
                    As to calculating where a grid boundary is, the rules pretty much say that wherever your GPS says the grid boundary is is close enough.  It's encouraged to have a GPS with WAAS capability but that's not strictly a requirement.  The GPS does have to be set to WGS84 datum but all consumer units do that as a default (and most units you can't change from WGS84).

                    The URLs below didn't work for me, but they're viewable at
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michigan-6M/files/

                    My cellphone doesn't have internet access so I can't help there.  On the solo grid-expeditions I've gone on, I've either done without if I was in the field or used the hotel's network.  I went on the K5N expedition to DL88 last June and the organizer got a satellite service that was so expensive we had to use text based services instead of any web pages because of the per megabyte charges.

                    Russ   KB8U

                    Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.

                    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png

                    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png

                    I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.

                    Dan...

                    --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

                    > Dan,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the tip. The download was only seconds, and once I walked
                    > outside It acquired a bunch of satellites. I'll play with it some more.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Bruce KT8TD
                    >
                    > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Bruce,
                    > >
                    > > Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I
                    > > use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software
                    > > apps for that.
                    > >
                    > > I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new
                    > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
                    > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
                    > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
                    > > is unlimited.
                    > >
                    > > Dan KF6A...
                    > >

                    > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
                    > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
                    > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
                    > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
                    > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
                    > > >
                    > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
                    > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
                    > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
                    > > >
                    > > > 73,
                    > > > Bruce KT8TD

                  • Bruce Graham
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
                      Hi Russ,

                      I too was unable to use the URLs and also looked in the files section.  I was actually impressed with the "free utility" GPS Test for my Galaxy S (not II and not III).  I'm still not sure what our "in the field" facilities are going to be.   I have some research to do on "Compact RVs" and popup trailers.  I think I'm kind of past the stage where a tent for 15 days would suffice.

                      I also got word that the 1x1 callsign "K8S" has been OKed for our use from 6/8/13 to 6/23/13.  This way we have a choice of using our own callsigns or the "special event" callsign as the mood moves us.

                      I see from the FFMA website that some folks in Minnesota are going to activate EN48 for the June VHF Contest 6/8/13 using the 1x1 callsign "W0W".

                      @everyone - keep the ideas and suggestions coming in.

                      73,
                      Bruce KT8TD

                      On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Russell Dwarshuis <kb8u_6m@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
                      > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
                      > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
                      > > is unlimited.
                      > >
                      > > Dan KF6A...
                      > >

                      > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
                      > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
                      > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
                      > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
                      > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
                      > > >
                      > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
                      > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
                      > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?

                    • Bruce Graham

                        Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.

                        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png

                        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png

                        I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.

                        Dan...

                        --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

                        > Dan,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the tip. The download was only seconds, and once I walked
                        > outside It acquired a bunch of satellites. I'll play with it some more.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Bruce KT8TD
                        >
                        > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Bruce,
                        > >
                        > > Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I
                        > > use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software
                        > > apps for that.
                        > >
                        > > I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new
                        > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
                        > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
                        > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
                        > > is unlimited.
                        > >
                        > > Dan KF6A...
                        > >

                        > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
                        > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
                        > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
                        > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
                        > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
                        > > >
                        > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
                        > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
                        > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
                        > > >
                        > > > 73,
                        > > > Bruce KT8TD

                      • kf6a
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
                          Interesting. I wonder if it's because I uploaded the files that the URL works for me?

                          Dan...