June 2013 Expedition

  • Bruce Graham
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2012
      We plan to be QRV from Saturday June 8th 2013 thru Sunday June 23rd.  The current plan is to activate EN74, EN75, EN84, EN85, and possibly EN86.  There was some initial enthusiasm surrounding operating from a confluence of two or possibly four grid squares.  The logistical problems of doing this are pretty intense, including finding a way to mount and swing an antenna, and record the surroundings and the screen of a suitable GPS unit on video.  If we go for convenient locations, one grid at a time, we should have enough time to catch good propagation during that 16 day period which encompasses three separate contests.

      The discussions are still preliminary so participation in the planning is definitely encouraged.

      73,
      Bruce KT8TD
    • James Smith

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
            Bruce,

            I caught this post via Google looking for EN86. Amazing coinencedence in that 3 of my buddies and I are planning to operate from somewhere in EN86 for the June ARRL VHF contest. So far, we are planning only 6, but probably with a2 meter equipment, and maybe I'll burden the satelites.
            We are in the stage where we really plan to go, and we are making paper plans, and probably my wife (K8AJ) and I might take a 2 day look see in the mainland (not-Drummond Island), part of EN86 come March.
            I've done dozens of field days, but this is a first for us. If it works out, we would love to work with you for the days of the contest in EN86.

            Tom Bosscher K8TB

            --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham wrote:

            > We plan to be QRV from Saturday June 8th 2013 thru Sunday June 23rd. The
            > current plan is to activate EN74, EN75, EN84, EN85, and possibly EN86.
            > There was some initial enthusiasm surrounding operating from a confluence
            > of two or possibly four grid squares. .......

            > 73,
            > Bruce KT8TD

          • Bruce Graham
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
              Hi Tom,

              I think that would be a great idea.  The reason for setting up this group was foe exactly this purpose.  Feel free to post your plans.

              Bruce KT8TD

              On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM, TomB <k8tb@...> wrote:

              Bruce,

              I caught this post via Google looking for EN86. Amazing coinencedence in that 3 of my buddies and I are planning to operate from somewhere in EN86 for the June ARRL VHF contest. So far, we are planning only 6, but probably with a2 meter equipment, and maybe I'll burden the satelites.
              We are in the stage where we really plan to go, and we are making paper plans, and probably my wife (K8AJ) and I might take a 2 day look see in the mainland (not-Drummond Island), part of EN86 come March.
              I've done dozens of field days, but this is a first for us. If it works out, we would love to work with you for the days of the contest in EN86.

              Tom Bosscher K8TB

              --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham wrote:

              > We plan to be QRV from Saturday June 8th 2013 thru Sunday June 23rd. The
              > current plan is to activate EN74, EN75, EN84, EN85, and possibly EN86.
              > There was some initial enthusiasm surrounding operating from a confluence
              > of two or possibly four grid squares. .......

              > 73,
              > Bruce KT8TD

            • K8TB
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2013
                Bruce and others...

                We took a road trip to EN86 Saturday. We had located a perfect cottage
                that rents by the day during June... Anchor Inn in De Tour Village. We
                have rented the two cottages right on the lake. For my group, this is
                our first outing, so it will be much easier for us.

                But EN86 should be on the air for the contest, and actually the two days
                before.

                tom bosscher k8tb

                http://www.michiganbroadcasttowers.com/amateur/EN86.htm