Transceivers To Be Used

  • Jim Lommel
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
      It's probably a little early to be talking about hardware but I was wondering if any thought has been given to what equipment will be needed and if there is something I could help with.  All of my rigs need 120 VAC but I am looking at acquiring a small DC rig that I could use as a mobile.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a small 100 W all-band transceiver that might work.  I would prefer to find something used.  Any suggestions?

      Jim
      WD8RWI
    • Bruce Graham
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
        There are numerous possibilities including the use of portable generators.  Most rigs run on 13.8 VDC which can come from an AC power supply or Marine Deep Cycle Batteries.  One of those deep cycle batteries is good for about 10-12 hours at 100 W.

        I have two rigs that would be useable:
        1. IC-706
        2. K3/100
        I know Dan,KF6A wants to try MS/FSK441 and might want to have an amplifier, but we really have not discussed those particulars.

        73,
        Bruce KT8TD

        On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Jim Lommel <wd8rwi@...> wrote:

        It's probably a little early to be talking about hardware but I was wondering if any thought has been given to what equipment will be needed and if there is something I could help with.  All of my rigs need 120 VAC but I am looking at acquiring a small DC rig that I could use as a mobile.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a small 100 W all-band transceiver that might work.  I would prefer to find something used.  Any suggestions?

        Jim
        WD8RWI

      • Russell Dwarshuis
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2012
          I've got a small, quiet generator that works fine with 100 watt rigs.

          As far as a recommendation for a small, all-band radio, I'd recommend a used IC-706

          73, Russ  KB8U

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2012
            I second that recommendation.  A plain vanilla IC-706 (not MkIIG) was my first rig and I'm very familiar with it.