Re: [Michigan-6M] Re: Where oh where to operate?

  • Bruce Graham
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
      Hi Russ,

      I too was unable to use the URLs and also looked in the files section.  I was actually impressed with the "free utility" GPS Test for my Galaxy S (not II and not III).  I'm still not sure what our "in the field" facilities are going to be.   I have some research to do on "Compact RVs" and popup trailers.  I think I'm kind of past the stage where a tent for 15 days would suffice.

      I also got word that the 1x1 callsign "K8S" has been OKed for our use from 6/8/13 to 6/23/13.  this way we have a choice of using our own callsigns or the "special event" callsign as the mood moves us.

      I see from the FFMA website that some folks in Minnesota are going to activate

      @everyone - keep the ideas and suggestions coming in.

      73,
      Bruce KT8TD

      On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Russell Dwarshuis <kb8u_6m@...> wrote:

      As to calculating where a grid boundary is, the rules pretty much say that wherever your GPS says the grid boundary is is close enough.  It's encouraged to have a GPS with WAAS capability but that's not strictly a requirement.  The GPS does have to be set to WGS84 datum but all consumer units do that as a default (and most units you can't change from WGS84).

      The URLs below didn't work for me, but they're viewable at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michigan-6M/files/

      My cellphone doesn't have internet access so I can't help there.  On the solo grid-expeditions I've gone on, I've either done without if I was in the field or used the hotel's network.  I went on the K5N expedition to DL88 last June and the organizer got a satellite service that was so expensive we had to use text based services instead of any web pages because of the per megabyte charges.

      Russ   KB8U

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
        Interesting. I wonder if it's because I uploaded the files that the URL works for me?