Re: Where oh where to operate?

  • kf6a
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 25, 2012
      Each phone is different. On my Galaxy S3 you press and hold the power and home buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds. You also might be able to swipe your palm across the screen, that is another "shortcut" for some samsung phones I think?

      --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > ago and that is what motivated me to start the email reflector (aka this
      > group). The GPS Test screenshots are the same as on my phone, but I could
      > not firgure out how to save a screen shot. What is the magic
      > key/finger/gesture sequence?
      >
      > LOL
      > Bruce KT8TD
      >
      > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Here is the info required for activating multiple grids from the ARRL.
      > > Here's the link.
      > > http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Vucc/VUCC%20Rules%202012.pdf
      > >
      > > "(e) Stations who claim to operate from more than one grid locator
      > > simultaneously (i.e., from the boundary between two
      > > grid locators or from the intersection of four grid locators) must be
      > > physically present in all locators to give multiple
      > > locator credit with a single contact. These stations should be prepared to
      > > validate their claim. For a mobile station,
      > > this means parking the vehicle exactly on the line or corner. For a
      > > portable station, this means that the total area
      > > occupied by the station's physical setup, including operating position(s),
      > > power source(s), and antenna(s), must
      > > occupy some portion of each of the two/four grid squares simultaneously.
      > > Operators of boundary/corner stations
      > > should be prepared to provide evidence of meeting the simultaneous
      > > occupation test if called upon to do so. Two
      > > photographs – one showing the placement of the GPS receiver in the station
      > > setup, and a close-up legibly showing
      > > the GPS reading – are typically needed as evidence of compliance. Video
      > > footage showing an overview of the
      > > operating site and then, uncut and in real time, zooming in on the GPS
      > > display coordinates is even better.
      > > (f) Grid boundary lines and grid corners must be established using a GPS
      > > receiver whose map datum is set to WGS84,
      > > the global default for current GPS receivers. The GPS receiver should be
      > > set to use WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation
      > > System) if so equipped, since this improves the error figure to as little
      > > as 5 feet. In no case may the GPS receiver
      > > show an error figure in excess of 20 feet. Any modern GPS receiver
      > > equipped with WAAS will easily meet this
      > > requirement, as will most older units without WAAS."
      > >
      > > Dan KF6A...
      > >
      > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, "kf6a" <kf6a@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will
      > > also directly display your gridsquare too.
      > > >

      > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png
      > > >

      > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png
      > > >
      > > > I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids,
      > > as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I

    • Russell Dwarshuis
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
        As to calculating where a grid boundary is, the rules pretty much say that wherever your GPS says the grid boundary is is close enough.  It's encouraged to have a GPS with WAAS capability but that's not strictly a requirement.  The GPS does have to be set to WGS84 datum but all consumer units do that as a default (and most units you can't change from WGS84).

        The URLs below didn't work for me, but they're viewable at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michigan-6M/files/

        My cellphone doesn't have internet access so I can't help there.  On the solo grid-expeditions I've gone on, I've either done without if I was in the field or used the hotel's network.  I went on the K5N expedition to DL88 last June and the organizer got a satellite service that was so expensive we had to use text based services instead of any web pages because of the per megabyte charges.

        Russ   KB8U

        Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png

        I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.

        Dan...

        --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

        > Dan,
        >
        > Thanks for the tip. The download was only seconds, and once I walked
        > outside It acquired a bunch of satellites. I'll play with it some more.
        >
        > 73,
        > Bruce KT8TD
        >
        > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Bruce,
        > >
        > > Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I
        > > use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software
        > > apps for that.
        > >
        > > I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new
        > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
        > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
        > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
        > > is unlimited.
        > >
        > > Dan KF6A...
        > >

        > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
        > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
        > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
        > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
        > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
        > > >
        > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
        > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
        > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
        > > >
        > > > 73,
        > > > Bruce KT8TD

      • Bruce Graham
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
          Hi Russ,

          I too was unable to use the URLs and also looked in the files section.  I was actually impressed with the "free utility" GPS Test for my Galaxy S (not II and not III).  I'm still not sure what our "in the field" facilities are going to be.   I have some research to do on "Compact RVs" and popup trailers.  I think I'm kind of past the stage where a tent for 15 days would suffice.

          I also got word that the 1x1 callsign "K8S" has been OKed for our use from 6/8/13 to 6/23/13.  This way we have a choice of using our own callsigns or the "special event" callsign as the mood moves us.

          I see from the FFMA website that some folks in Minnesota are going to activate EN48 for the June VHF Contest 6/8/13 using the 1x1 callsign "W0W".

          @everyone - keep the ideas and suggestions coming in.

          73,
          Bruce KT8TD

          On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Russell Dwarshuis <kb8u_6m@...> wrote:

> [...]

          > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
          > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
          > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
          > > is unlimited.
          > >
          > > Dan KF6A...
          > >

          > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
          > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
          > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
          > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
          > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
          > > >
          > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
          > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
          > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?

        • Bruce Graham

            Here are a few screen shots of the information it can gather. It will also directly display your gridsquare too.

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUB1kUoOBAZXSPyKTILHsFET6-re1PNYpODGjuRWS9PIdx3aN1IcqGy6pK-GjfDYi0sjxr8_kHwnRA7avZEY_LQ/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-01.png

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJqJUHfNMtaBAZXSDCrl5qZs75L3G0njOhyGMLkDEZ2DZVS9DQDtJtAvwXT6PtfWcD0rzkdlBH7SSGs_ZJ4NIm2fbw/Screenshot_2012-10-25-16-18-06.png

            I don't remember the exact requirements for activating multiple grids, as far as showing how you're calculating exactly where one is, however, I will look into it.

            Dan...

            --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@...> wrote:

            > Dan,
            >
            > Thanks for the tip. The download was only seconds, and once I walked
            > outside It acquired a bunch of satellites. I'll play with it some more.
            >
            > 73,
            > Bruce KT8TD
            >
            > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, kf6a <kf6a@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Bruce,
            > >
            > > Your cell phone should be capable of displaying the proper information. I
            > > use "GPS Test" on mine and I'm pretty sure there are other free software
            > > apps for that.
            > >
            > > I have unlimited data on my sprint phone but will have to see if my new
            > > andoid device works with an app off my older android phone. And, it depends
            > > on whether or not we have 3G/4G service, but if data is available in
            > > whichever area(s) we go to there is no problem using my data plan since it
            > > is unlimited.
            > >
            > > Dan KF6A...
            > >

            > > --- In Michigan-6M@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Graham <bgraham@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm thinking that in order to keep things simple we should trade time in
            > > > the field for operating multiple squares at once. We can avoid the hassle
            > > > of of videotaping the surroundings and the GPS. I checked my Garmin
            > > > Nuvi255 and I can find a screen with coordinates, but none of the
            > > > settings like datum or WAAS.
            > > >
            > > > Another issue is whose cellphone and data plan do we use to make a
            > > > cellphone hotspot. Do we do that or just use the phones for internet
            > > > access and not worry about the computers being able to do it?
            > > >
            > > > 73,
            > > > Bruce KT8TD

          • kf6a
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
              Interesting. I wonder if it's because I uploaded the files that the URL works for me?

              Dan...