9556Re: [MichelleWest] Cast in Sorrow (SPOILER THREAD)

  • Jamie Coady
    Sep 4, 2013

      !
      !
      !

      i think he is an elemental but not bound like the water and fire. alsoit is hard to say his name which is why worlds were distroied trying to summon him because they could not hold him but this time he wishes to stay with her and not the other way. because she did not summon him there is not much cost to her. i can’t wait till they get back to the city to femiller suroundings.
      i think the stuff with the twelve went a bit too far but it was a good read and i can’t wait for the next what ever it is called.

      Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 8:54 PM
      Subject: [MichelleWest] Cast in Sorrow (SPOILER THREAD)

      !
      Well, I have to say that I was surprised by some of the events that occurred in this one.  For one, I was not expecting Nightshade to have a younger brother!  I was thinking he may have had a child, since he seems very sad whenever Kaylin has brought up the topic of children with him in the past.  I think my favorite scene was when Kaylin ended up defending Nightshade's actions to Annarion, who despised what he perceived his brother had become.  It will be interesting to see if Annarion and Kaylin manage to get Nightshade to change the way he runs his Fief, because I'm certain that's going to be a big bone of contention between them.

      Some other things I enjoyed discovering were Teela's actions to save Kaylin from the Emperor's judgment when Kaylin was a child.  She protected Kaylin the way her mother tried to protect her, and I found it very moving.  It gave me new insight into the ways Barrani experience love, and the pain they can suffer from the loss of it.  I look forward to seeing how "Mandy" fits in back in Elantra with the Hawks.  I look forward to Tain's reaction, too.

      Annarion seems determined to take the test of Name, but with his idealism, he might do better as a Hawk.  I wonder if eventually, he'll end up there, too?  I don't know what Kaylin is going to do with all these Barrani running around, and now she's got Ynpharion to deal with as well.  At least it doesn't seem like he'll be trying to kill her, since from his point of view, she's mortal, so it's hardly worth the effort.  Plus, he seems to respect her more now that she's saved the Consort numerous times, and healed the Green and the Regalia.

      I do agree with the gentleman who said that the magical scenes were fairly impenetrable.  There were many in this book, and they seemed to be written in an almost stream-of-consciousness style, which made it difficult to understand what was actually happening.  I plan to do a reread in a week or so, and see if I can follow it better, especially the Regalia stuff at the end.

      I didn't really get the stuff about the small dragon being "elemental".  I wonder what would happen if Kaylin took him into the Garden?  The only thing I can think is that maybe he is an aspect of Order, while the Ferals in the Outlands were affected by Chaos?  Idk, it was confusing.  And he still doesn't have an actual Name, although it seems like he's altered Kaylin's marks some how?  If anyone has any insight about this, I'd love to hear it.

      Tchula

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic