Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Acrylic window experiment for Arcebus

Expand Messages
  • lindburly@aol.com
    I finished installing the windows on Arcebus yesterday. Only time will tell, but the following method seemed to work well: I drilled 5/16 holes every 4
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      I finished installing the windows on Arcebus yesterday. Only time will tell,
      but the following method seemed to work well: I drilled 5/16" holes every 4
      inches with a glass/ceramic bit and used pole barn screws. Instead of caulk I
      used self-adhering rubber weatherstripping made out of EPDM rubber. This
      stuff is made in Sweden -- it's super lively, non-absorbant, UV resistant, and is
      supposed to last 10 years or more. It's 3/16" by 3/8" wide and costs about
      $3.50 for a 17 foot package at Menards. Since the pole barn screws have
      neoprene washers built in, the acrylic is nicely cushioned on both sides with plenty
      of expansion space around each screw. I tightened the screws up just enough
      to barely compress the weatherstripping. No fuss, no muss during
      installation, and I can easily remove the windows without dealing with caulking. The
      outline of protruding pole barn screws looks "studly." I can't wait to dump the
      boat and see if the water stays out.

      Installed my lighting fixtures, solar panel, and radio today in the middle of
      a snow squall! Got a lot of riggin still to do before the big cruise down
      the Mississip to Lake Pepin on June 3.

      Greg Lindberg,
      Minneapolis, MN
      http://arcebus.net


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Bill Paxton
      I can t wait to meet you and Arcebus at the MN Messabout! Bill Paxton
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2005
        I can't wait to meet you and Arcebus at the MN Messabout!

        Bill Paxton
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.