Re: Rough chop capable?

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2005
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, pdubyou@y... wrote:

      > I'm going to go through with building a 13' to 17' boat. Something I
      > can stand up in to do some crabbing and shrimping. Having been
      > caught out in some pretty good chop (higher than the freeboard, but
      > when your a cork it doesn't come over the sides) on Puget Sound inmy
      > little jonboat, I'd like to find something a little 'safer' feeling.
      > Which designs have you all found to be reasonable in the mildly rough
      > stuff? I'm still trying to decide between power and sail (and sail
      > is winning).
      >
      > Paul

      First thanks all who let me uderstood what's 'rough & chop'. Good
      lesson. Well I 've seen Pudget Sound a few years ago, the weather in
      Seattle was beautiful those days, but I felt respect for Pudget Sound
      anyway. A lot of water! I don't know what kind of boat is required for
      crabbing and shrimping, but, in my opinion, the only JM sailboat
      responsible to cross Pudget Sound is Vector. In other cases I would
      keep close to a shore.

      -Wojtek
    • John Ewing
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 5, 2005
        What about Fatcat2? What do you guys think of its chances out in the kind of
        chop being discussed here?

        John

        >> I'm going to go through with building a 13' to 17' boat. Something I
        >> can stand up in to do some crabbing and shrimping. Having been
        >> caught out in some pretty good chop (higher than the freeboard, but
        >> when your a cork it doesn't come over the sides) on Puget Sound inmy
        >> little jonboat, I'd like to find something a little 'safer' feeling.
        >> Which designs have you all found to be reasonable in the mildly rough
        >> stuff? I'm still trying to decide between power and sail (and sail
        >> is winning).
        >>
        >> Paul
        >
        > First thanks all who let me uderstood what's 'rough & chop'. Good
        > lesson. Well I 've seen Pudget Sound a few years ago, the weather in
        > Seattle was beautiful those days, but I felt respect for Pudget Sound
        > anyway. A lot of water! I don't know what kind of boat is required for
        > crabbing and shrimping, but, in my opinion, the only JM sailboat
        > responsible to cross Pudget Sound is Vector. In other cases I would
        > keep close to a shore.
        >
        > -Wojtek
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • wwbaginski
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 6, 2005
          Multichine hulls like Fatcat2 were reported as good for such described
          conditions too. At least I was checking Mixer reports, because the set
          of Mixer plans is expectet to cross the Atlantic and land inside my
          mailbox in Warsaw soon. But i think the real question is what,s
          around? Shallow lake or river, or may be sea bay? Is it the extremal
          state or is it able to rise on?

          -Wojtek

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Ewing <john.ewing@s...> wrote:
          > What about Fatcat2? What do you guys think of its chances out in the
          kind of
          > chop being discussed here?
          >
          > John

        • John B. Trussell
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 6, 2005
            Short, beamy, shallow boats tend to stop when they hit a wave. The center of effort on gaff rigged catboats moves forward when reefed and this can lead to a lee helm. My guess is that Fatcat, with its beam and "over the water" hull would be slow and wet in rough water. I seriously considered building a Fatcat, but opted for a longer narrower boat with an easier to rig mast. As a trailer sailer, sailing primarily on inland lakes, rough water capabilities are not high on my list of priorities.

            John T
            What about Fatcat2? What do you guys think of its chances out in the kind of
            chop being discussed here?

            John

            >> I'm going to go through with building a 13' to 17' boat. Something I
            >> can stand up in to do some crabbing and shrimping. Having been
            >> caught out in some pretty good chop (higher than the freeboard, but
            >> when your a cork it doesn't come over the sides) on Puget Sound inmy
            >> little jonboat, I'd like to find something a little 'safer' feeling.
            >> Which designs have you all found to be reasonable in the mildly rough
            >> stuff? I'm still trying to decide between power and sail (and sail
            >> is winning).
            >>
            >> Paul
            >
            > First thanks all who let me uderstood what's 'rough & chop'. Good
            > lesson. Well I 've seen Pudget Sound a few years ago, the weather in
            > Seattle was beautiful those days, but I felt respect for Pudget Sound
            > anyway. A lot of water! I don't know what kind of boat is required for
            > crabbing and shrimping, but, in my opinion, the only JM sailboat
            > responsible to cross Pudget Sound is Vector. In other cases I would
            > keep close to a shore.
            >
            > -Wojtek
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John B. Trussell
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 6, 2005
              Wojtec--The definition of "rough water" depends in part on what you are used to and in part on the size of the boat from which you are making your observation. I have a Mixer.

              You sail Mixer while sitting (or reclining) on the bottom of the boat. Depending on how tall you are (I'm 5ft 7 inches tall), your eyes are about 2 1/2 feet (maybe .8 meters) above the water. From this pesrspective, a 2 foot wave (.6 meters) constitutes "rough water.

              Since the crew of a Mixer usually weighs quite a bit more than the boat, once the crew is seated on the bottom, the boat is very heavily ballasted and has considerable sail carrying capacity. I have been caught out in rising winds and experienced waves in the 2 foot/.6 meter range. Mixer has a fair amount of rocker and a strong sheer--I think it is unlikely that Mixer will take water over the bow or the stern. However, the boat pounds badly in 2 ft/ .6 meter waves, throws a fair amount of spray when going up wind, and goes fairly slowly under these conditions. Of the wind, Mixer will "surf" down the face of a wave, but I've never been able to get a prolonged plane out of her.

              All things considered, I think Mixer is a very useful boat with as much seaworthiness as anyone can hope for from a 12 ft dinghy.

              John T
              Multichine hulls like Fatcat2 were reported as good for such described
              conditions too. At least I was checking Mixer reports, because the set
              of Mixer plans is expectet to cross the Atlantic and land inside my
              mailbox in Warsaw soon. But i think the real question is what,s
              around? Shallow lake or river, or may be sea bay? Is it the extremal
              state or is it able to rise on?

              -Wojtek

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Ewing <john.ewing@s...> wrote:
              > What about Fatcat2? What do you guys think of its chances out in the
              kind of
              > chop being discussed here?
              >
              > John

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • wwbaginski
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 6, 2005
                Right, John. That,s why I pointed Vector for Puget Sound area. BTW
                thanks a lot for Mixer info.

                -Wojtek

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"

                Service.

              • vicskiff
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 7, 2005
                  John T

                  Jim's Electron is longer and narrower (18' x 5') than Fatcat2 (15' x
                  6') and in the optional sailing version has a balanced-lug rig.
                  Might I rightly assume, then, that Electron could take chop better
                  than Fatcat?

                  John E.

                  <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:
                  > Short, beamy, shallow boats tend to stop when they hit a wave.
                  The center of effort on gaff rigged catboats moves forward when
                  reefed and this can lead to a lee helm. My guess is that Fatcat,
                  with its beam and "over the water" hull would be slow and wet in
                  rough water. I seriously considered building a Fatcat, but opted
                  for a longer narrower boat with an easier to rig mast. As a trailer
                  sailer, sailing primarily on inland lakes, rough water capabilities
                  are not high on my list of priorities.

                  > John T

                • John B. Trussell
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 8, 2005
                    John E. In general, long narrow boats deal with chop better than short wide boats and your assumption that Electron with a 3.6 to 1 length /beam ratio would handle chop better than Fatcat with a 2.5 ratio is probably correct. Jim designs boats which he describes as " over the water" and boats which he describes as " through the water". Over the water boats have a waterline which resembles a scow; through the water boats have a waterline which is pointed at the bow. Jim rates his boats in regard to handling chop as "through the water" best; over the water-multichine--next best; and flat bottomed boats as least best. Using this as a benchmark, the two Michalak designs best able to deal with rough water are Frolic (sail) and dorado (power--check the pictures!)

                    <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:
                    > Short, beamy, shallow boats tend to stop when they hit a wave.
                    The center of effort on gaff rigged catboats moves forward when
                    reefed and this can lead to a lee helm. My guess is that Fatcat,
                    with its beam and "over the water" hull would be slow and wet in
                    rough water. I seriously considered building a Fatcat, but opted
                    for a longer narrower boat with an easier to rig mast. As a trailer
                    sailer, sailing primarily on inland lakes, rough water capabilities
                    are not high on my list of priorities.

                    > John T

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Chuck Leinweber
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 8, 2005
                      I'd have to say that the "Through the Water" group should include Caprice,
                      Cormorant and several others.

                      Chuck Leinweber

                      John E.  In general, long narrow boats deal with  chop better than short
                      wide boats and your assumption that Electron with a 3.6 to 1 length /beam
                      ratio would handle chop better than Fatcat with a 2.5 ratio is probably
                      correct.  Jim designs boats which he describes as " over the water" and
                      boats which he describes as " through the water".  Over the water boats have
                      a waterline which resembles a scow; through the water boats have a waterline
                      which is pointed at the bow.  Jim rates his boats in regard to handling chop
                      as "through the water" best; over the water-multichine--next best; and flat
                      bottomed boats as least best.  Using this as a benchmark, the two Michalak
                      designs best able to deal with rough water are Frolic (sail) and dorado
                      (power--check the pictures!)

                      John T
                    • vexatious2001
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 8, 2005
                        ...boats which he describes as "over the water" and boats which he
                        describes as "through the water".

                        In the past, I have owned boats best described as
                        "under the water" boats.

                        Max