Re: New poll for Michalak

  • Wayne Farris
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
      I too have only been in one of these rowboats but I was quite
      impressed with Vamp. Easy to row for a rowing newbie, fast, and
      pretty good looking to me too. I have therefore voted for it in the
      poll but a number of these look like nice designs.
    • Bruce Hallman
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
        > The decision depends on what you want in a boat--economy and ease of
        > construction? Speed? Load carrying? Playing in the surf? Touring?
        > Fishing/hunting platform? Will the boat be used in ponds or open waters?
        > Elegant appearance? Etc, etc..
        >
        > John T

        Choosing the best rowboat depends on what you want/need/like with
        your rowboat(s). John T lists the major criteria, I would add to the list
        of other criteria that might be important at different times and to different
        people;

        1) Light weight/cartop-ability, portaging.
        2) Ease of stowing, to fit that tight spot on deck.
        3) Classic or traditional looks, Whitehall, Dory, Guideboat, etc..
        4) Lifeboat, unsinkablity.
        5) Ability to be towed at high speed.
        6) Ability to be launched 'right side up', dangled from its painter.
        7) Dual use capabilities, row/sail, or row/motor/sail.
        8) Durability.
        9) Ability to store multiple boats piled in a compact stack.
        10) Theft resistance.

        All these things might be desireable, but no boat can
        do them all well. Solution: multiple boats!
      • Bruce Hallman
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
          I hit 'send' and a few other rowboat criteria came to mind:

          11) Flooded stability. That is: when full of water, does
          the rowboat float right side up or upside down.
          12) Length of oars. At times you might want long oars,
          but there are times, [such as when rowing in tight
          quarters] that short oars are better.
          13) Ability to be collapsed or folded. Some people might
          value the ability of the rowboat to 'breakdown', to fold,
          or to be deflated, for ease of stowage or transport.
        • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
            In that spirit, I have to mention Pixie (since I sell the plans <g>):

            http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Pixie.html

            I know a fellow who built a Pixie, and he says it's the best rowboat he's
            ever rowed! The plans call for plank construction, be he managed to use
            plywood, with a little cussing required to get the bottom on...

            --
            John <jkohnen@...>
            http://www.boat-links.com/
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 17, 2007
              Michalak group:

              Just for fun, what do you think is Jim's best overall
              row/sail dinghy design?

              o Moby Dink
              o Slam Dink
              o Tween