RE: [Michalak] New poll for Michalak

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
      Joansa is a lovely boat and I didn't mean to slight Wellsford or any other
      designer. <snip>

      John T
      _____________________________

      John:

      I had to mention Joansa only because I sell the plans. It's my job to
      mention certain designs and ignore others.

      Chuck
    • Wayne Farris
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
        I too have only been in one of these rowboats but I was quite
        impressed with Vamp. Easy to row for a rowing newbie, fast, and
        pretty good looking to me too. I have therefore voted for it in the
        poll but a number of these look like nice designs.
      • Bruce Hallman
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
          > The decision depends on what you want in a boat--economy and ease of
          > construction? Speed? Load carrying? Playing in the surf? Touring?
          > Fishing/hunting platform? Will the boat be used in ponds or open waters?
          > Elegant appearance? Etc, etc..
          >
          > John T

          Choosing the best rowboat depends on what you want/need/like with
          your rowboat(s). John T lists the major criteria, I would add to the list
          of other criteria that might be important at different times and to different
          people;

          1) Light weight/cartop-ability, portaging.
          2) Ease of stowing, to fit that tight spot on deck.
          3) Classic or traditional looks, Whitehall, Dory, Guideboat, etc..
          4) Lifeboat, unsinkablity.
          5) Ability to be towed at high speed.
          6) Ability to be launched 'right side up', dangled from its painter.
          7) Dual use capabilities, row/sail, or row/motor/sail.
          8) Durability.
          9) Ability to store multiple boats piled in a compact stack.
          10) Theft resistance.

          All these things might be desireable, but no boat can
          do them all well. Solution: multiple boats!
        • Bruce Hallman
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
            I hit 'send' and a few other rowboat criteria came to mind:

            11) Flooded stability. That is: when full of water, does
            the rowboat float right side up or upside down.
            12) Length of oars. At times you might want long oars,
            but there are times, [such as when rowing in tight
            quarters] that short oars are better.
            13) Ability to be collapsed or folded. Some people might
            value the ability of the rowboat to 'breakdown', to fold,
            or to be deflated, for ease of stowage or transport.
          • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
              In that spirit, I have to mention Pixie (since I sell the plans <g>):

              http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/Pixie.html

              I know a fellow who built a Pixie, and he says it's the best rowboat he's
              ever rowed! The plans call for plank construction, be he managed to use
              plywood, with a little cussing required to get the bottom on...

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              http://www.boat-links.com/
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 17, 2007
                Michalak group:

                Just for fun, what do you think is Jim's best overall
                row/sail dinghy design?

                o Moby Dink
                o Slam Dink
                o Tween