Re: Just when you thought you had seen it all.....

  • lulalake_1999
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
      You have probably all read this article, but if not it's an article
      on painting boats in general, and latex paints in particular.

      http://home.att.net/~DaveCarnell/articles.html#A1

      Jules

      --- In Michalak@y..., "paxton_consulting" <Bill@P...> wrote:
      > You can not convince me that any boat is worth the danger and
      bother
      > of a big lead keel. I think it is an outdated concept. Ok, maybe
      on
      > a transoceanic voyage....
      > >
      > > Chuck
      >
      > Amen to that!
      >
      > There's a remarkable story in WoodenBoat #161 about designer R.
      > Spaulding Dunbar. He built shoal draft cruising boats that crossed
      > oceans. One of his designs SEA GOOSE was 43' LOA with a 13' beam
      and
      > only 3' draft. As to her performance at sea, Dunbar wrote "Now I
      > know that a good shoal boat is not only safe, but a whole lot more
      > comfortable and easier-motioned than a keel boat of the same size
      > under the same conditions."
      >
      > An interesting side note: he loved to paint his boats with latex
      > house paint. As a designer he was a real maverick. Too bad more
      > builders didn't follow his lead.
      >
      > Bill Paxton
    • pepcruells
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4, 2002
        ...and I have sailed my Caprice off shore in 4-5 ft swells, and I can
        tell you that the Caprice will easily take way more than I will. You
        can not convince me that any boat is worth the danger and bother of a
        big lead keel. I think it is an outdated concept. Ok, maybe on a
        transoceanic voyage....

        > Chuck

        Thanks a lot for your opinions (Micro + Caprice) I'd choose Caprice
        as JM said in one of his articles that Micro was not too easy to
        build and I think Caprice would be easier. Water ballast tanks can be
        a nuisance (rot problems, space lost) but are perfect for trailering.
        How could that aspect be improved? Sand bags, stones?

        Hasta luego!

        pep
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 5, 2002
          Shape the hull ala catboat, and put a short rudder on it, so when you pass a
          certain point the hull becomes asymetrical, the rudder comes out of the
          water, and the boat heads up HARD. No ballast needed.

          Ala Chebacco.
          (but I'm prejudiced)

          - Chebacco Richard

          > build and I think Caprice would be easier. Water ballast tanks can be
          > a nuisance (rot problems, space lost) but are perfect for trailering.
          > How could that aspect be improved? Sand bags, stones?
          >
          > Hasta luego!
          >
          > pep

        • captreed2000
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 5, 2002
            refering to the
            > attachment process as, "dogging." When Even sailers will be
            impressed, because who enjoys the
            > esoteric bon mot more than sailers?
            > Pete

            Hi Pete,

            Should that be esoteric bon mutt? How are you going to distinguish
            this dogging from the time honored "dogging the hatch"?

            Good looking boat, BTW.

            Reed
          • M Fx
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 9, 2002
              Fair enough. Altho, you might confuse big-ship
              sailors like me, to whom 'dogging' means securing a
              watertight door or hatch- see:
              http://www.freemanmarine.com/Hatches3100Series.htm
              or
              http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=Dogging

              but, please, don't let me stand in your way- sounds
              like a fun idea:)

              -MFX

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com