Re: [Michalak] New Member w/? about Leeboard boats

  • Shawn Payment
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
      I also recently rcvd my Skat plans so it looks like Mike and I will be
      "building buddies! (Where are you located Mike?) Don't let Tidmarsh's
      estimate scare you... it you read any of his stories on Duckworks, then
      you'll realize what a meticulous job that he did on his boat! (Homemade
      brass blocks for criminey sakes! Amazing though...)

      Still, I'm figuring about 120 hrs for my Skat build... but 200 wouldn't be a
      bad estimate if this was my first hull rather than my 4th...

      See Ya
      Shawn

      > Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:10:23 -0800 (PST)
      > From: fogo von slack <fogovonslack@...>
      > Subject: Re: New Member w/? about Leeboard boats
      >

      > Mike asks, "Right now I'm bouncing back & forth
      > between the AF3 and the Vector. Care to take a guess
      > at
      > how many hours a competent craftsman (hope I'm not
      > deluding myself!) would need to complete one of these
      > boats? In looking over a few sites that show
      > construction of Jim's designs, I'm guessing about
      > 75-95 hours before I get it wet. Thoughts?"
      >
      > I'd budget more time than that for Vector. I think I
      > took about 200 hours to finish Skat, which is a
      > similar design at 12' insterad of 15'. I would think
      > that AF3 would be a bit faster to build with a flat
      > bottom & leeboard versus Skat/Vector's v-bottom and
      > centerboard.
      >
      > Tidmarsh Major
      > Tuscaloosa, Ala.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
        Shawn,

        I'm in Downers Grove, IL, part of the western suburbs of Chicago.
        Where you at??

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Payment <mspayment@c...> wrote:
        > I also recently rcvd my Skat plans so it looks like Mike and I will
        be
        > "building buddies! (Where are you located Mike?) Don't let
        Tidmarsh's
        > estimate scare you... it you read any of his stories on Duckworks,
        then
        > you'll realize what a meticulous job that he did on his boat!
        (Homemade
        > brass blocks for criminey sakes! Amazing though...)
        >
        > Still, I'm figuring about 120 hrs for my Skat build... but 200
        wouldn't be a
        > bad estimate if this was my first hull rather than my 4th...
        >
        > See Ya
        > Shawn
        >

        > > Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:10:23 -0800 (PST)
        > > From: fogo von slack <fogovonslack@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: New Member w/? about Leeboard boats
        > >

        > > Mike asks, "Right now I'm bouncing back & forth
        > > between the AF3 and the Vector. Care to take a guess
        > > at
        > > how many hours a competent craftsman (hope I'm not
        > > deluding myself!) would need to complete one of these
        > > boats? In looking over a few sites that show
        > > construction of Jim's designs, I'm guessing about
        > > 75-95 hours before I get it wet. Thoughts?"
        > >
        > > I'd budget more time than that for Vector. I think I
        > > took about 200 hours to finish Skat, which is a
        > > similar design at 12' insterad of 15'. I would think
        > > that AF3 would be a bit faster to build with a flat
        > > bottom & leeboard versus Skat/Vector's v-bottom and
        > > centerboard.
        > >
        > > Tidmarsh Major
        > > Tuscaloosa, Ala.
      • fogo von slack
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
          Mike writes, "I have ordered the plans for the Vector
          from Duckworks. And yes, the thought of
          building/acquiring a trailer for this puppy has been
          on my mind. Any suggestions on sources for ideas or
          hardware for that? The Lightning I had was a derelict
          I restored, and I customized an old powerboat trailer
          for it. Planned on doing something similar for the
          Vector, perhaps starting with one of those small
          utility trailer kits you can buy at the auto parts
          store."

          I use a Harbor Freight boat trailer for my Skat. It is
          a bit more expensive than the utility trailer kits
          (seems to vary between $280 and $320--keep an eye on
          it and wait to order until the price drops), but it
          saved me the trouble of extending the tongue and
          building bunks, etc. A v-bottom boat such as Skat or
          Vector will do fine resting on the 2 keel rollers and
          the bunks; be sure the bunks line up with a bulkhead.
          I also took a fem minutes to plane the top edges of
          the bunks at an angle to match the deadrise of the
          hull to avoid contacting the corner of the bunk.

          The only problem I had with the Harbor Freight was
          that the supplied 1 7/8" coupler would not fit over my
          1 7/8" hitch ball and had to be replaced. Harbor
          Freight was back-ordered for several months on the
          replacement part, so I bought one locally. I finally
          convinced them to reimburse me, but by that time had
          lost my receipt. Oh well.

          EZ loader also sells a UPS-shippable trailer that's
          galvanized and is probably a step up in quality (as
          well as price).
          http://www.ezloader.com/upsable.asp

          Tidmarsh Major
          Tuscaloosa, Ala.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Shawn Payment
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
            I'm in Charleston, SC...

            I had also found the ezloader UPS-able trailer online and so far, I haven't
            found anything that looks much better in my area. The Harborfreight trailer
            is cheaper but narrower and not galvanized.

            I've also got a local lumberyard quizzing their distributors for Aquatek or
            similarly decent meranti or luaun ply...

            Standby for updates!

            > Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:12:20 -0000
            > From: "Mike" <michsand@...>
            > Subject: Re: New Member w/? about Leeboard boats
            >

            > Shawn,
            >
            > I'm in Downers Grove, IL, part of the western suburbs of Chicago.
            > Where you at??
          • Joe Tribulato
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 8, 2005
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <michsand@s...> wrote:

              > I'm guessing about 75-
              > 95 hours before I get it wet. Thoughts?

              When strangers approach to look at my boats their first question is
              "How long did it take you to build it?"
              My reply: "I don't count the hours. It's a zen thing, just being in
              the moment. It is the process that matters." A nice boat is an added
              bonus. And yes, I'm anal too. It takes a long time but I don't mind.
              I'm retired.
            • robrohdeszudy
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                I think some of the other posts about 200 hrs of work are pretty
                decent starting points. Do yourself a favor and don't be anal about
                the finish if you can avoid it. Just keep saying "workboat finish". I
                probably added at least 50 hours to the Piccup project by obsessing.
                Obsessing means lots of SANDING VERY HARD EPOXY! Once it's all
                painted the same color with semi-gloss paint, a lot of crappy details
                look OK.

                I highly recommend sticking with Jim's leeboards. They are a marvel
                in simplicity. You push it down and forget about it. It's great!

                I'd avoid the vector simply because beaching a V bottom sucks. The
                flat bottom planks on most of Jim's designs are there because it lets
                you toboggan your boat on sand. A V digs in and anchors itself before
                the bow is even on dry land.

                As for the trailer...well...that's why I'd recommend starting with a
                cartop boat. But since you're used to trailering, I'd find a used
                fishing boat trailer, most likely with the crappy boat attached, and
                modify from there. My approach was to take a welding course and build
                my own trailer from scrap steel. (Not for the Piccup - for a Bolger
                Light Schooner in the works.) This is the cheapest option if you can
                make the time to do it and have any interest in metal working. Get
                your suspension from www.abctrailerparts.com - the 2000# trailer
                kit. Cheapest out there and good parts too.

                --Rob