Re: Types of Small Boats

  • stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 2, 2005
      --- "Terry W. Gardner" <twgardne@h...> wrote:
      > Since we are doing southernese definitions:
      >
      > Good ol' boy - mean as all get out, he's just on your side.
      >
      > J'ever - did you ever. J'ever see such a thing in your life!
      >
      > J'ew - did you. J'ew eat yet? Nah, j'ew.
      >
      > Later ya'll,
      > Terry from Alabama

      Ya'll,

      if I'd know how to include that definition for the Yawl. Maybe it
      means that's a boat for ya'll???

      OK, on a slightly more serious note:
      No other images have been sent to me, so let's start to choose our
      all-time-favourites:
      http://www.HAPBY.v-nam.net/else/BoatTypes/survey.php
      I hope that for most of the other models we can make it more simple:
      You just post your favourite designs for a given boat type and I will
      search the web to find a suitable photo.

      But for now let's start with images of typical scows and garveys.

      Thanks in advance to all who take a few minutes and make their
      suggestions on the website above.

      Cheers,
      from cold Hanoi (13°C in my living room)

      Stefan
    • Robert Miller
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 4, 2005
        With all respect, and with good thoughts for all...
        I suggest that this thread not be pursued.

        What may seem humorous at first, or to some, may in the end offend
        someone - simply because making a joke of idioms common to a persons
        geographic region, ethnicity, or language, could be a little hurtful;
        however unintentional that result might be.

        I'm sure no one would wish that, and it will result in a useful and fun
        newsgroup loosing some of its presently good vibe. Let's talk boats.

        Robert

        On Dec 30, 2004, at 7:57 PM, Terry W. Gardner wrote:

        > Since we are doing southernese definitions:
        >
        > Good ol' boy - mean as all get out, he's just on your side.
        >
        > J'ever - did you ever.�� J'ever see such a thing in your life!
        >
        > J'ew - did you.� J'ew eat yet?� Nah, j'ew.
        >
        > Later ya'll,
        > Terry from Alabama

      • Terry W. Gardner
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
          Also with all respect, if I was making light of anyone's idioms it was my
          own as I have lived in Alabama all my life. If I unduely offended anyone I
          apologize. I am afraid we take ourselves too seriously sometimes and we
          should be able to indulge in a little humour at our own expense. After all
          we are funny creatures........:-)