Skat Plans

  • mspayment@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hey Y'all,
      I just ordered plans for "Skat" as my xmas present to myself. This will be my 4th build and I'm hoping that I've finally got the skills to do a good job of it on this next boat. I just relocated to South Carolina and I'm living on a nice wide spot on the Stono River just west of Charleston Harbor. It's been killing me to look at that beautiful waterway every day and not have a boat. (Previous boats were sold before moving... I did buy a plastic kayak but it's a souless beast... and who wants to paddle when the wind is blowing?)
      I've been looking for a small, trailerable, shoal water sailboat that wouldn't break the bank or take forever to build and Skat seems to fit the bill. Nice lines, traditional rig, shouldn't be too much of handful for a (lazy) person to launch/sail/recover and still has room for a friend should one want to join.
      I'll set up website with pix once construction starts. If anyone has any tips, thoughts or suggestions feel free to let me know. Tidmarsh Major, who built the (2nd) prototype has already sent me several good tips to keep me off the rocks and shoals... it's nice to have footsteps to follow.
      It's good to be aboard!
      Shawn (www.geocities.com/shawnpayment)

    • Joe Tribulato
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
        Scat was inspired by E.Schock's 12'6" Catboat plans published in "How
        to Build Small Boats," copyright 1952. Jim said his copy was not
        dated, so there is a bit of trivia from my archives.

        Scan of sailplan in files as E.B.Shock-SKAT.
      • Shawn Payment
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2004
          I was aware of the lineage but you don't need to know that to recognize that
          Skat is a pretty little boat! That's at least part of the reason that I
          selected the design... I've built several "practical", "useful",
          "purposeful" designs...

          Now I want a "looker".

          ;-)

          Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:08:41 -0000