Re: Plywood problems

  • Andy Moore
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2004
      I have been following different sites like this one regarding the use
      of construction grade material in boat building and I considering a
      stretched version of the Scram Pram. I think I can stretch it to 20
      or so ft and have a multi chine JB. Anyway, I thought about buying
      premium grade 2*4 and ripping it to 2 or 1 1/2" by 1/4" strips and
      stripper building one of these boats. The availability of material
      is good, local Home Depot or what ever and the hull shape should make
      it very easy. I know there will be extra work ripping the 2*4's but
      it seems minor compared to the expense and hassle of finding good,
      reliable and inexpensive plywood.

      Any Thoughts.

      Andy
    • sword_king
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 2, 2004
        I second that emotion. :)

        I've built 5 boats from Home Depot lumber, 5mm Luan plywood, exterior
        wood glue and drywall screws. The only time I had problems with
        plywood, was when I'd had a few beers with a friend one afternoon and
        we decided to build a June Bug that evening. We went to HD, and he
        got careless and pushy and impatient, not willing to sift through the
        sheets. One of the sheets delaminated after the first outing, so I
        sanded away the surface ply and replaced it with a piece of
        fiberglass. That was in 2000, and the boat is still good, stored
        outdoors in New Mexico with no particular attention paid to the finish
        (or anything else for that matter). It has survived being cartopped
        on two trips of over 2800 miles. I'm not saying it looks as good as
        the day we first sailed it, but it isn't coming apart.

        And yes, we did get it built that night.

        Service.