Re: Plywood problems

  • chrisbfeller
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 30, 2004
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury112@e...> wrote:

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "chrisbfeller" <chrisbfeller@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Max,
      > > I have weighed the 1/4 in the past and it came out to about 25
      > > lbs. I just weighed a sheet of 3/8 and it was 33 lbs.
      > >
      > > Chris
      > >

      > Thanks for the info; According to
      > e-boats, 1/4" (6mm) Occume wieghs in
      > @ 20 lbs while 6mm Meranti weighs 25 lbs.
      >
      > I weighed some 3/8 inch BC pine and it
      > came in at 37/38 pounds, while some
      > single-sided MDO 3/8 inch weighed 33/34
      > pounds. Don't know what kind of wood the MDO
      > was, but it had rows of knots across the
      > back that reminded me of fir exterior (it
      > ws stamped "BC")
      >

      > Max

      Max,
      I happen to have a sheet of 1/4 inch Occume. It does weight
      about 20 lbs. It just weighed it in at 19.4.

      Chris
    • sword_king
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 2, 2004
        I second that emotion. :)

        I've built 5 boats from Home Depot lumber, 5mm Luan plywood, exterior
        wood glue and drywall screws. The only time I had problems with
        plywood, was when I'd had a few beers with a friend one afternoon and
        we decided to build a June Bug that evening. We went to HD, and he
        got careless and pushy and impatient, not willing to sift through the
        sheets. One of the sheets delaminated after the first outing, so I
        sanded away the surface ply and replaced it with a piece of
        fiberglass. That was in 2000, and the boat is still good, stored
        outdoors in New Mexico with no particular attention paid to the finish
        (or anything else for that matter). It has survived being cartopped
        on two trips of over 2800 miles. I'm not saying it looks as good as
        the day we first sailed it, but it isn't coming apart.

        And yes, we did get it built that night.

        Service.