Wondering.

  • lewisboats
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
      In browsing the various groups I lurk on, I see many different things
      used for masts. From hollow ones, done lovingly, to galvanized fence
      poles. In my browsings of lumber supply stores, I have come across
      something that intrigues me. Stair railing. The kind that comes in
      about 2.5" diameter, with a flat on it. I have seen lengths to 16',
      and in some verrry clear wood. One wonders if this might not be
      something to look into? I usually do my own designs, and most are for
      motors. This being said, I have one or two on the back burner for
      sails and would like a little feedback on the above idea. Thanks much
      for the consideration.

      Steve.
    • petersimmons55409
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In Michalak@y..., "lewisboats" <numbaoneman@b...> wrote:
        > In browsing the various groups I lurk on, I see many different things
        > used for masts. From hollow ones, done lovingly, to galvanized fence
        > poles. In my browsings of lumber supply stores, I have come across
        > something that intrigues me. Stair railing. The kind that comes in
        > about 2.5" diameter, with a flat on it. I have seen lengths to 16',
        > and in some verrry clear wood. One wonders if this might not be
        > something to look into? I usually do my own designs, and most are for
        > motors. This being said, I have one or two on the back burner for
        > sails and would like a little feedback on the above idea. Thanks much
        > for the consideration.
        >
        > Steve.

        Hi Steve -

        The only problem I see in using stair railing is that it's lathed from
        a single piece of wood. Two boards laminated together is much stronger
        board than a one-piece board, and is much less likely to crack. By the
        way, I made a hollow mast for my af3, and did so not a bit lovingly,
        but quickly, with glue and nails flying, and I recommend it. I'm no
        master craftsmas (understatement), but it only took a few hours and I
        was able to cut the tapers with a circular saw, saving myself from the
        endless sanding I've gone through in the past with solid masts. My two
        cents.

        Pete
      • paxton_consulting
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
          In my browsings of lumber supply stores, I have come across
          > something that intrigues me. Stair railing. The kind that comes in
          > about 2.5" diameter, with a flat on it.

          Steve,
          I used stair hand railing for the boom and gaff on my Weekender.
          They are made from Douglas Fir, and I'm very pleased with their
          performance.

          I would be tempted to use hand rail for a mast on a very small
          sailboat only. If you check the Sail Lacing photos on this board you
          can see the size difference between my mast and the boom & gaff.

          Bill Paxton
        • vexatious2001
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
            > Hi Steve -
            >
            > By
            the
            > way, I made a hollow mast for my af3, and did so not a bit lovingly,
            > but quickly, with glue and nails flying, and I recommend it. I'm no
            > master craftsmas (understatement), but it only took a few hours and
            > was able to cut the tapers with a circular saw, saving myself from
            the
            > endless sanding I've gone through in the past with solid masts. My
            two
            > cents.
            >
            > Pete

            I made my AF3 mast out of two pieces of wood laminated together,
            square, as per the drawings, but slightly larger as i was using
            cheap wood.

            I think I will probably try the "hollow" route next time.

            Trying to cut through 2 1/2 to 3 inches of wood is a real
            pain; neither my circular saw or my table saw will do it.

            I think a single stick of wood would be be OK for a short mast,
            maybe 10 feet long. For comparison, the AF3 mast is 21 1/2 feet.

            Max
          • Chuck Leinweber
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
              Bill:

              I agree with you about the uses of this stuff. I'm not sure if we have the same thing around here - ours is 1-1/2 inches in diameter (closet rod is 1-1/4") and is made from SYP. I would use it if I had the right application

              Chuck
              In my browsings of lumber supply stores, I have come across
              > something that intrigues me. Stair railing. The kind that comes in
              > about 2.5" diameter, with a flat on it.

              Steve,
              I used stair hand railing for the boom and gaff on my Weekender.
              They are made from Douglas Fir, and I'm very pleased with their
              performance.

              I would be tempted to use hand rail for a mast on a very small
              sailboat only. If you check the Sail Lacing photos on this board you
              can see the size difference between my mast and the boom & gaff.

              Bill Paxton

            • sacalman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
                Railings are tuff stuff. If you want the real good stuff, you can get
                it in Maple too... Watch out for finger joins though. For a mast you
                want a solid piece.

                I made a very servicable unstayed mast for an Achilles dinghy out of
                concrete float extension handles(available at your local builders
                supply store). These are really good because they come in 5 foot
                lengths, and lock together with about an 8 inch overlap. They are
                hardened Anodized Aluminum and 2 1/2 inches in cross section.

                I plugged the top end with a piece of scrap oak that I turned on a
                lathe and glued in with Epoxy. You probably don't need to do that but
                I thought it might flatten under a load.

                Scott Calman