months ago

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
      A couple of motnhs ago (when I was in a jam with my changed e-mail
      address and wasn't able to send messages but was able to send photos
      (!)we raised our campjon,s cockpit floor about 3 inch. Photos are
      at Files section, campjon.pl mods. I guess most of michalakers use
      to trailer their boats and launch them every time they need to sail,
      but may be some of you use to keep your boats on the water all
      navigating season long just like we here? It helps much in such
      case. No need to go to the port and check and dry the boat after
      every bigger rain. While under way we close drain holes with
      corks/stoppers. Additional advantage is extra floatation reserve and
      more comfortable boarding. Today, after half of navigating season, I
      can honestly tell it works good.

      -Wojtek
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <baginski@f...> wrote:

        > > (!)we raised our campjon,s cockpit floor about 3 inch.

        may be some of you use to keep your boats on the water all
        > navigating season

        > -Wojtek

        Hey, Wojtek !

        Looks like you were doing some of this work
        with the boat afloat !

        Here is a link to another wooden boat that was
        repaired/ modified while in the water:

        http://www.hollyb.com/rebuild1978-1.html

        Did the added weight of the new deck affect
        the performance of the boat?

        Also, do you have any concerns that the "double
        bottoms" area, having little ventilation, will
        lead to a rot problem?

        Looks like good workmanship; but then your boat
        always exhibited that quality

        Later, Shipwright!

        Max
      • wwbaginski
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
          > Hey, Wojtek !
          >
          > Looks like you were doing some of this work
          > with the boat afloat !
          >
          > Here is a link to another wooden boat that was
          > repaired/ modified while in the water:
          >
          > http://www.hollyb.com/rebuild1978-1.html
          >
          > Did the added weight of the new deck affect
          > the performance of the boat?
          >
          > Also, do you have any concerns that the "double
          > bottoms" area, having little ventilation, will
          > lead to a rot problem?
          >

          > Looks like good workmanship; but then your boat
          > always exhibited that quality
          >

          > Later, Shipwright!
          >

          > Max

          Yes Max, almost all the work has been done with the boat afloat.
          First, the idea appeared after launching and first stormy rain.
          We 've found the cockpit full of water (the cabin is protected with
          a folding roof). Second, this way we were sure that 3 inch is enough
          to have drain holes above the water line. So we made evetything of
          wood and plywood, but next we slipped the boat out of water to coat
          elements with epoxy, mount the new floor and make the drain holes.

          After all, the work was a little acrobatic with the boat afloat.

          Coating everything with epoxy was neccesary to avoid rot danger,
          additionally there was idea to make four small ventilation holes in
          bulkhead 14 under the floor level, between new floatation chaber and
          old floatation chamber (under the motor well) which is now
          ventilated itself with single 14 cm Holt cover. Last, the new floor
          is prepared to be be dismounted for the winter storage if any
          repairs are neccesary.

          As for the weight, there were no much new elements and we have our
          cockpit 2 feet shorter than designed by Jim (cabin still has it's
          original bottom/floor)so I don,t feel any difference. Anyhow,
          campjon is still underpowered with his 8 HP outboard, but this year
          it,s enough for us.

          Link interesting as usually!

          -Wojtek