- A couple of motnhs ago (when I was in a jam with my changed e-mail
address and wasn't able to send messages but was able to send photos
(!)we raised our campjon,s cockpit floor about 3 inch. Photos are
at Files section, campjon.pl mods. I guess most of michalakers use
to trailer their boats and launch them every time they need to sail,
but may be some of you use to keep your boats on the water all
navigating season long just like we here? It helps much in such
case. No need to go to the port and check and dry the boat after
every bigger rain. While under way we close drain holes with
corks/stoppers. Additional advantage is extra floatation reserve and
more comfortable boarding. Today, after half of navigating season, I
can honestly tell it works good.
- --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <baginski@f...> wrote:
>may be some of you use to keep your boats on the water all
> > (!)we raised our campjon,s cockpit floor about 3 inch.
> navigating seasonHey, Wojtek !
Looks like you were doing some of this work
with the boat afloat !
Here is a link to another wooden boat that was
repaired/ modified while in the water:
Did the added weight of the new deck affect
the performance of the boat?
Also, do you have any concerns that the "double
bottoms" area, having little ventilation, will
lead to a rot problem?
Looks like good workmanship; but then your boat
always exhibited that quality
> Hey, Wojtek !Yes Max, almost all the work has been done with the boat afloat.
> Looks like you were doing some of this work
> with the boat afloat !
> Here is a link to another wooden boat that was
> repaired/ modified while in the water:
> Did the added weight of the new deck affect
> the performance of the boat?
> Also, do you have any concerns that the "double
> bottoms" area, having little ventilation, will
> lead to a rot problem?
> Looks like good workmanship; but then your boat
> always exhibited that quality
> Later, Shipwright!
First, the idea appeared after launching and first stormy rain.
We 've found the cockpit full of water (the cabin is protected with
a folding roof). Second, this way we were sure that 3 inch is enough
to have drain holes above the water line. So we made evetything of
wood and plywood, but next we slipped the boat out of water to coat
elements with epoxy, mount the new floor and make the drain holes.
After all, the work was a little acrobatic with the boat afloat.
Coating everything with epoxy was neccesary to avoid rot danger,
additionally there was idea to make four small ventilation holes in
bulkhead 14 under the floor level, between new floatation chaber and
old floatation chamber (under the motor well) which is now
ventilated itself with single 14 cm Holt cover. Last, the new floor
is prepared to be be dismounted for the winter storage if any
repairs are neccesary.
As for the weight, there were no much new elements and we have our
cockpit 2 feet shorter than designed by Jim (cabin still has it's
original bottom/floor)so I don,t feel any difference. Anyhow,
campjon is still underpowered with his 8 HP outboard, but this year
it,s enough for us.
Link interesting as usually!