Fiberglass Mast

  • David Davis
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
      Has anyone tried fiberglass pipe as a mast?? In 4 inch diameter it
      seems stiff and only weigths 1.2 pounds per foot. Might be OK for
      lug and gaff rigs. Heavier wall thickness are availible and one
      could add glass or carbon fiber to the outside if needed. I think
      20 foot lengths are standard and longer lengths are availible
      special order.

      2,3,4,and 6 inch FG pipe is availible and might fill the bill for
      booms and yards as well as masts.

      With a wooden plug here and there it seems the perfect light weight,
      floating hollow mast.

      David
    • Bruce Hallman
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
        > Has anyone tried fiberglass pipe as a mast??
        > David

        Where do you buy fiberglass pipe?
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hi, David:

          You want masts and booms to be quite stiff, thus the common use of aluminum,
          wood, and carbon fiber. I doubt that this stuff would be stiff enough
          unless you used some large diameter stuff. Put a piece between two say
          horses along with a piece of wood of a similar cross sectional area, then
          see which is stiffer. I'll bet the FG is a lot more limber.

          Chuck
          Has anyone tried fiberglass pipe as a mast?? In 4 inch diameter it
          seems stiff and only weigths 1.2 pounds per foot. Might be OK for
          lug and gaff rigs. Heavier wall thickness are availible and one
          could add glass or carbon fiber to the outside if needed. I think
          20 foot lengths are standard and longer lengths are availible
          special order.

          2,3,4,and 6 inch FG pipe is availible and might fill the bill for
          booms and yards as well as masts.

          With a wooden plug here and there it seems the perfect light weight,
          floating hollow mast.

          David

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

        • David Davis
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
            > Where do you buy fiberglass pipe?

            Bruce FG pipe is an oil field / Chemical item. I have worked with 4
            inch in saltwater wells in the Gulf of Mexico. Used because they
            don't rust. FG pipe is made up to 30 inches diameter and rated up to
            5000 psi. The chore would be to find the pipe with the right wall
            thickness / weight that might be as strong as wood and save 20 to 30
            percent on weight.

            I will continue to look for the weight / cost of the pipe and report.

            Chuck I worked with 4 inch X 10 foot flanged FG pipe with about 1/2
            inch wall thickness. It was very stiff but may have weighed 20 to
            30 pounds per 10 foot.

            Some of the carbon fiber mast sites report designers concerned about
            the carbon fiber mast being too stiff.

            One or two layers of carbon fiber might make a FG pipe with 1/8 inch
            wall thickness as stiff as wood The price of carbon fiber cloth is
            $20 to $30 per yard and 3 or 4 yards might be needed for a 20 foot
            mast. As always the price might dictate we stick with wood for a
            while.

            Just searching for a affordable light weight home made spar material

            David
          • Rick Bedard
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
              Buy a common 2x10, rip into strips, cut out the sections with knots, cut birdsmouth notches with router or tablesaw, cut ends of these strips at 45 degrees so they can be butted to full spar length, add epoxy, roll it up and tie it together with nylon string. Next day cut the line and plane/sand smooth. You get a lightweight, hollow spar made with "clear" whatevr the 2x10 was.

              Yes it can be done. I've built three and amazed myself each time.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
                I'm sure that 1/2" wall 4" pipe would be very heavy. I've had good luck
                with Western Red Cedar for masts and booms. It's light and stiff, but not
                real strong, so I either cover it with glass or make it bigger than the
                specs. Both ways have worked well for me. I pick through the fencing
                material for the clears and scarf enough together to make the length I need.
                It's pretty cheap. I have even found clear 1x6 WRC in 16 foot lengths.
                Made a 20 lb skin on frame kayak from two of those.

                Chuck

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
                  > Just searching for a affordable light weight home
                  > made spar material

                  Surely the answer is using a wood-epoxy composite with
                  a hollow spar? The bird's mouth mast design has been
                  kicking around for some time and seems to work. You
                  could always do some R&D on it, to work out what wall
                  thicknesses you can get away with. Over in the rowing
                  world they based hollow wooden oars on four pieces of
                  timber forming a box section, then spokeshaved it down
                  to the shape of the loom. They carefully selected the
                  woods used to balance stiffness and lightweight
                  against each other, but the stresses on an oar are far
                  more predictable than the stresses on a mast.

                  Al