Re: [Michalak] Re: Jewelbox cabin idea

  • edek vaitonis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2004
      I have been mulling over how to have the protection and function of a birdwatcher type cabin with the open feeling of a regular cockpit. I am interested in IMB, Scram Pram, JB jr, or Petesboat. I do like the open feeling on the water, but also like shelter after an hour or two. Also, flotation and stability are always factors.

      It would be unlikely that I would go to far out in too heavy a blow-- iI have sheltered places to sail when the wind or chop is really up.

      So my thought was to have a semi birdwatcher set-up-- perhaps akin to the Chebacco navigator-- have about 4 to 6 feet of the above boats with the birdwatcher cabin, then aft of it have a cockpit arrangement that would not drain into the cabin, and be deep enough to keep crew weight down, and have enough sitting room for 2 people. The assumption being that two other crew would be in the cabin, and turns taken outside. Some to the safety features would be diminished, but some would still be there, and the birdwatcher cabin makes sitting inside and still enjoying the view a real option.

      Such an arrangement also takes away the advantage of a large cabin area, but as of now I cannot see myself sailing with overnighting in mind--yet.

      Some questions realating to the above boats: I have wondered about the ability of the respective hull shapes to handle the ocean swells that are on the eastern seaboard. Not chop per se, but the rolling of the incoming waves that are there no mater how nice the weather and gentle the breeze. Descritpions of hull shapes usually compare handling in "rough water". But is there a shape that handles the rolling swells significantly better? I have a Featherwind/200$ sailboat that does pretty well in wakes and such, but it was too late into the season to test it out in less sheltered conditions. And I think of the Micro shape that rides out in a great variety of conditions, and wonder how much better the multichine shape could be.

      Also, I'm looking at the recommended motor size these boats have: I would need a motor to handle the current in tidal rivers so that I would not have to plan so much around the tides. Will a 2-3 horsepower motor be able to push the boat against a tidal current(sorry, I don't have the current's speed- but lets say it is tough to row against, but sometimes not impossible.)

      And finally, anyone know of any feedback on the IMB since the write-up a couple of years ago after the initial launching? Are the owners happy with performance? Likes and dislikes?

      Thanks for any and all comments!

      Ed

      sctree <sctree@...> wrote:

      Having built and sailed a JB Jr I think you have an excellent idea
      there. I've never managed to sail with the deck level rubrail in the
      water except for the times when I intentionally try and knock the
      hull over, so sailing "topless" should be fine in most conditions.

      If you'll be out without the sail in hot sunshine maybe rig up a tarp
      on posts in each of the cabin's four corners for allover shade...

      Rick

    • edek vaitonis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2004
        oops, I meant I'm looking at Philsboats, not Petesboat.

        Ed

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "bigboa44" <brosen1953@o...> wrote:

        > Dear List,
        > A few months ago, I had posted some questions about the JB jr
        windows
        > which many of you were kind enough to answer. I hope you won't mind
        > another.
        >
        > I have purchased the JB jr plans and have been studying them
        > carefull. My earlier concerns were about ventilation on hot days
        and
        > the possibility of opening windows. Most of you criticized the idea.
        >
        > After thinking about the weather and realizing I still liked the
        > option of having an open boat occasionally, I had the idea of
        > building the top cabin as designed and making the cabin top
        removable
        > from the deck up, leaving kind of an open "tub" in the middle. I
        have
        > to think through how the cabin would be securely attached but I
        have
        > seen many small day boats on the web with removable cuddies.
        >
        > While in a capsize the lack of a cabin would let water in more
        > easily. This setup would only be for when weather is calm and I
        > anticipate very light or no winds or even motoring with the
        electric
        > trolling motor I anticipate having. I also will have foam flotation
        > under both fore and aft decks.
        >
        > In converse I also had the idea of another removable "closed top"
        > cabin for colder/ wetter weather ala Bolger Micro Navigator. Or I
        > know that just putting a fitted cover over the slot is possible.
        Thus
        > with two cabin tops and an open option, the boat might be useful
        for
        > a wider variety of temperature/weather situations
        >
        > Looking at the plans and the bulkhead frames, it seems that the
        > cabin is not essential for strength as the cockpit would still be
        > surrounded by the same framing. The only thing that would have to
        be
        > rethought is the Mast partner.
        >
        > What do you think of the idea?
        > Thanks for your thoughts