RE: [Michalak] New member checking in.

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2004
      Hi, John:

      I also sail the gulf coast (Texas) with a Caprice and a Ladybug, both Jim's
      designs. I love the ease with which these boats rig, and I especially like
      the shallow draft which really opens this area up. I think you would be
      smart to build a Michalak boat. If you are a diligent worker, you should be
      able to finish the boat by spring, though longer building times are common.

      Of Jim's small cruisers, I really like the Blobster. I ignored it at first,
      but later I realized that you have to get past the name and the looks to
      really see what a nice little boat this is. To me, a pilot house would just
      invite poor upwind performance, and make a hot cabin even hotter, but to
      each his own. I'm sure the Jukebox3 is a fine boat and I agree with Tom
      about boat building - the building is more important than the boat.

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2004
        I think there have been a couple of messabouts on Lake Martin, just
        north of Montgomery. Google for "lake martin messabout" and you should
        find some people in the area.

        One thing that I am very wary of (I live in Dallas, but I grew up in
        Alabama) is mixing small cabins and hot summers. "Cozy" may be the
        word that gets people to buy in Massachusetts, but anywhere south of
        Birmingham, "cozy" means uninhabitable between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

        have fun,

        Walter Owens

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "john_cockerham3"
        <john_cockerham3@y...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        >
        > My main reason for joining this group is to research my next boat. I
        > recently move to the Gulf Coast from Washington State. When I left
        > Washington I had to sell my beloved San Juan 21 because I couldn't
        > tow both my travel trailer and boat at same time. I needed the
        > trailer to live in until I bought a new home. Once I purchased the
        > new house, my first instinct was to get another San Juan. I may still
        > do this, but I want to explore other options.
        Are any
        > Michalak boats sailing in southern Alabama or Mississippi?
        >
        > Sorry to be so long winded.
        >
        > John Cockerham
      • Wayne Farris
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2004
          There were at least two messabouts hosted by Mikeee Saunders on Lake
          Martin. The last one was on Lake Jordan which is just north of
          Montgomery. I hope we can get another one scheduled for next year.

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "waltbald" <lwo2@a...> wrote:

          > I think there have been a couple of messabouts on Lake Martin, just
          > north of Montgomery. Google for "lake martin messabout" and you should
          > find some people in the area.
          >
          > One thing that I am very wary of (I live in Dallas, but I grew up in
          > Alabama) is mixing small cabins and hot summers. "Cozy" may be the
          > word that gets people to buy in Massachusetts, but anywhere south of
          > Birmingham, "cozy" means uninhabitable between Memorial Day and
          Labor Day.

          > have fun,
          >
          > Walter Owens
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "john_cockerham3"
          > <john_cockerham3@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Group,
          > >
          > > My main reason for joining this group is to research my next boat. I
          > > recently move to the Gulf Coast from Washington State. When I left
          > > Washington I had to sell my beloved San Juan 21 because I couldn't
          > > tow both my travel trailer and boat at same time. I needed the
          > > trailer to live in until I bought a new home. Once I purchased the
          > > new house, my first instinct was to get another San Juan. I may still
          > > do this, but I want to explore other options.
          > Are any
          > > Michalak boats sailing in southern Alabama or Mississippi?
          > >
          > > Sorry to be so long winded.
          > >
          > > John Cockerham
        • fogovonslack
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 27, 2004
            <john_cockerham3@y...> wrote:
            > Are any
            > Michalak boats sailing in southern Alabama or Mississippi?

            I'm in Tuscaloosa, and make it down to Mobile and Fort Morgan from
            time to time. I built Skat, Jim's 12' catboat. There's also a Vector
            under construction in Pensacola, I believe.

            Tidmarsh Major
            Tuscaloosa, Ala.

            http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=330&groupID=147689&folderview=thumbs&ck=
          • eric S
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 27, 2004
              Tidmarsh

              I was snooping thru your pics and I noticed the
              Boarding Ladder. I was wondering how this design
              worked? I need some type of ladder for my AF4G.

              Thanks

              eric s

              http://messenger.yahoo.com