Re: [Michalak] Digest Number 922

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
      Electric's biggest advantage is QUIET! Quiet is a Very Good Thing in a
      boat. You also don't have to mess around to start an electric motor, and it
      always starts. A gas engine's advantage is range, the "fuel" for an electric
      motor is heavy and bulky, it takes a long time to refuel and you have to
      find an electrical outlet. A gas engine will most likely also push a boat
      faster than a trolling motor, since trolling motor props are "geared" for
      high thrust and low speeds.

      I usually use a trolling motor for an auxiliary. One group 24 deep-cycle
      battery is enough to get me from one end of the local mudhole to the other
      in a pinch, and that's all I need. I rarely use it at all, but I know if I
      didn't take it along I'd surely get stuck in a calm four miles from the
      ramp. <g>

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/