RE: [Michalak] AF4 Grande Rough Water Capabilities

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
      Here is my opinion, Dennis, Hopefully there will be some more: Any flat
      bottomed plywood boat will pound if you try to go too fast for the
      conditions. You just need to slow down sometimes. If you plan to be out in
      these conditions a lot, you might want to look at the Dorado. It's
      multichine hull was designed for these conditions.

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        Dennis,

        Jim Michalak all but answers your question in his latest newsletter,
        at:

        http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/

        You will see there a nice picture of a Dorado going through what
        Michalak calls a chop. It's more than that: the boat is out in the
        Pacific Ocean. There is more information at:

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jim/dorado/

        You will see another picture there of Dorado running along in smooth
        water in perfect planing trim. IMHO, Michalak has got the hull shape
        exactly right.

        I'm not sure how Dorado compares with AF4 Grande sizewise, but if you
        want a certain amount of open-water capability, Dorado is the one to
        go for, provided it's big enough for you.

        Howard

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...> wrote:
        > Here is my opinion, Dennis, Hopefully there will be some more:
      • denisnh
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
          Chuck, thanks for the response. I value your opinion a great deal
          considering your experiences with Tennessee. I had corresponded with
          you a bit during those days and I remembered how you said the thin
          panels of that Anomaly would make you a little "squeamish" at times
          in rough water (It gave me quite a chuckle when you said that) :-)

          By the way, congrats on duckworks. It's an absolutely awesome site!
          If fact, now that I think about it, I'll be subscribing today.

          Best Regards,
          Denis

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...> wrote:
          > Here is my opinion, Dennis, Hopefully there will be some more: Any
          flat
          > bottomed plywood boat will pound if you try to go too fast for the
          > conditions. You just need to slow down sometimes. If you plan to be
          out in
          > these conditions a lot, you might want to look at the Dorado. It's
          > multichine hull was designed for these conditions.
          >
          > Chuck

        • denisnh
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
            Thanks Howard. I've admired the Dorado since Jim introduced the
            design. The sweep of the bow struck me as looking a little funny at
            first but it definitely grows on you, and I agree with you that Jim
            got the design just right. I believe form follows function. :-) He
            has no plans to design a "Dorado Grande" and that boat is just a bit
            smaller than what I'm looking for.

            Also, thanks for the links. I'm always looking for new nautical
            stuff to read. (Don't we all?) :-)

            Regards,
            Denis

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"