Re: Jons boat

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
      I had some oak rubrails that were difficult to bend. The folks on the
      Woodenboat forum suggested leaving them on the lawn during a
      rainstorm. I don't get much rain, so I hosed 'em down on the lawn and
      covered 'em with some plastic for 2 nights. They limbered up very
      nicely. You do have to let them dry, but around here in Northern
      California that only took a day.
      -Jerry
    • Rich Harris
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
        I don't think it makes you sound foolish. You're thinking ahead, and
        that's better than asking how to fix a mess that you've already
        epoxied together!

        Re: The bottom hanging over. It is pretty common to trim the bottom
        after assembly; better to get a boat that fits together than a boat
        that fits a particular measurement.

        I think Chuck's suggestion to rip the sticks down is a good one to
        try first. It is the simplest, and if it does not do enough, you can
        still try ripping it again and laminating, or wetting and prebending.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Pichette" <dnsea@c...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone ; I started on jonsboat and have a question that may
        make me look foolish , but , the chines , are they set in with the
        flat side toward the bottom or the edge on the bottom ? I tried
        bending with the edge down and it didn't look to promising and the
        bottom panel will hang over , now I either measured wrong or it looks
        like they may go flat side down , but the drawing looks like the edge
        goes down ,,,,HELP ! ! Thanks----Dan

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
          THANK YOU everyone who responded to my Jonsboat project I think I'll
          rip it down a bit b-4 bending once again thanks a bunch---Dan--- In