Re: [Michalak] noise cancelling was Re: Briggs noise (and other B&S responses).

  • Ken Abrahams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
      Am I right in that 3 db is a 1 half reduction in noise?????
      Then 17 db is a major reduction!!!!!
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
        "Loudness increases approximately three times for every 10 decibels. So 30 decibels is three times as loud as 20 decibels. 40 decibels is three times as loud as 30 decibels. This makes 40 decibels nine times as loud as 20 decibels. "

        This is a quote from my hearing aide Users guide booklet. Oops, I guess now the group knows of my quiet world. :>)

        A 3 DB change would in fact be about a 33% decrease/increase in loudness.

        Jeff

        Am I right in that 3 db is a 1 half reduction in noise?????
        Then 17 db is a major reduction!!!!!
        Forget those cheapo "noise cancelling" headsets. If you read the fine
        print, they only cut 17 dB, which is 10 or 15 less dB than the reduction
        available from decent earplugs! Probably comparable to passive ear
        muffs. I'm sure the Bose unit is another matter. But Murphy says it will
        fall in the water.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • wwbaginski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
          I have to tell that 6 HP B&S selled here (Poland) with Italian lawn
          mower Alco gives up to 98 db of noise. Is it the same in US? Well I
          asked about that Jacks Small Engines for their Quiet mufflers but
          they didn't answer so far. Also I don't know how much noise (in dbs)
          could cut such Quiet Muffler.

          -Wojtek

          > Am I right in that 3 db is a 1 half reduction in noise?????
          > Then 17 db is a major reduction!!!!!

        • Lincoln Ross
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2004
              Everyone should have some kind of hearing protection and a good
              headset is a wise investment, particularly if you think long term and
              all the times you use noisy power equipment. For some, special
              earplugs may be the answer.

              I still have acuity hearing loss from my years of working with small
              2 and 4 stroke engines - chainsaws being the worst. Stupidly I never
              took advantage of a government program to provide custom earplugs
              while I was in the trade. But I do have a pair of semi-custom ones
              now that I use, if I remember. These aren't that expensive and allow
              me to hear normal speech while keeping the higher and lower pitches
              out of my hearing range. Easy to insert and very comfortable. I got
              mine at a "safety" shop but I think you can get them at a decent drug
              store or where power equipment is sold.

              Bryant - who really couldn't hear what his wife was saying!

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
              > Yes, and the cheapo headsets still let you get rid of 10 to 50
              times as much excess cash as passive hearing protection that does a
              better job and is not instantly destroyed by salt water.
            • Lincoln Ross
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2004

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
                  Sorry Lincoln, I meant ear muffs, not headset.

                  Bryant

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
                  > I agree that in noisy situations everyone should use good hearing
                  > protection. Good quality, modern disposable earplugs cut something
                  like
                  > 30db, which ought to be good enough for almost anything this side
                  of a
                  > jet engine. Crappy, ripoff headphones won't be used after the first
                  few
                  > times, tho the budget crunch might prevent attending one heavy
                  metal
                  > concert and provide some protection. Seems to me 17db from active
                  > headphones is a ripoff.
                  >
                  > passive protection examples:
                  > http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?
                  dept_id=12657&cat_prefix=4WA
                  > http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?
                  dept_id=17031&cat_prefix=4WA

                  > Lincoln Ross
                  >
                  > >Bryan wrote:
                  > >
                  > >Everyone should have some kind of hearing protection and a good
                  > >headset is a wise investment, particularly if you think long term
                  and
                  > >all the times you use noisy power equipment. For some, special
                  > >earplugs may be the answer.
                  > >

                  > snip
                • Lincoln Ross
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
                    I agree that in noisy situations everyone should use good hearing
                    protection. Good quality, modern disposable earplugs cut something like
                    30db, which ought to be good enough for almost anything this side of a
                    jet engine. Crappy, ripoff headphones won't be used after the first few
                    times, tho the budget crunch might prevent attending one heavy metal
                    concert and provide some protection. Seems to me 17db from active
                    headphones is a ripoff.

                    passive protection examples:
                    http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=12657&cat_prefix=4WA
                    http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=17031&cat_prefix=4WA

                    Lincoln Ross

                    >Bryan wrote:
                    >
                    >Everyone should have some kind of hearing protection and a good
                    >headset is a wise investment, particularly if you think long term and
                    >all the times you use noisy power equipment. For some, special
                    >earplugs may be the answer.

                    snip