Re: Drains?

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2004
      I've used rubber plugs with a lever on my parent's old runabout quite a
      bit and they have worked quite well. They are pretty much toe unfriendly
      for barefoot boaters, I suspect, and also a heck of a lot larger so on a
      small boat you have less time to put the ~!@# thing back in if you
      forgot. You'd need to make the bottom quite a bit thicker in that spot
      in many cases. There's another kind that's simpler which you just rotate
      but otherwise has the same weaknesses.

      The screw or bolt thru a chain idea will work, but it will really get in
      the way of the screwdriver on a simple threaded plug. I wouldn't expect
      the retaining chain (or the skin on one's bare foot) to survive a fast
      tack or jibe.

      For most of the above, I'm assumint the aforementioned location just
      behind the centerboard trunk. On a transom it's probably a whole other
      story.

      >In addition to a screw-in drain plug, it is possible to use a rubber plug with a lever to expand the plug in the drain hole/tube. It is certainly possible to tie such a plug to the boat with some sort of lanyard. In theory, such a plug may be more likely to fall out or come loose tham a screw in plug, but in practice, I've never known it to happen.
      >
      >John T

    • fogovonslack
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 28, 2004
        Well, I finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the bottom of a
        perfectly good boat. I installed a drain plug this weekend.

        I ordered one of these about a month ago:
        http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,8258.html

        I installed it over the weekend. First I used a 2" forstner bit to
        mortise the flange, and then a 1" spade bit to drill out the drain
        hole. (Don't tell anyone, but I spent $30 on drill bits to install a
        $5 drain plug.) I thought that I would have to cut or grind some of
        the drain off, but it turned out to be just the thickness of the hull
        at the deepest point.

        Then I painted the inside of the hole and installed with three 1/2" #8
        wood screws and lots of Dynaflex 430 caulk as bedding compound. I am
        hopeful that it will be cured enough to launch next weekend.

        Tidmarsh
      • vexatious2001
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 28, 2004
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fogovonslack" <fogovonslack@y...>
          wrote:
          > Well, I finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the bottom of
          > perfectly good boat. I installed a drain plug this weekend.
          >
          > I ordered one of these about a month ago:
          > http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,8258.html
          >
          > I installed it over the weekend. First I used a 2" forstner bit to
          > mortise the flange, and then a 1" spade bit to drill out the drain
          > hole. (Don't tell anyone, but I spent $30 on drill bits to install
          > $5 drain plug.) I thought that I would have to cut or grind some of
          > the drain off, but it turned out to be just the thickness of the
          hull
          > at the deepest point.
          >
          > Then I painted the inside of the hole and installed with three
          1/2" #8
          > wood screws and lots of Dynaflex 430 caulk as bedding compound. I
          am
          > hopeful that it will be cured enough to launch next weekend.
          >
          > Tidmarsh

          You did a much more "professional" job
          on your drain than i did on mine.

          For the AF4, I installed (4) plastic versions
          of what you installed, but i did not bother
          to "recess" the flange, so the last little bit
          of water will not drain out. Also, I have
          to use teflon pipe tape on the threads of the
          plastic plugs, otherwise they weep a bit.

          On the AF3, I went to Home Depot marine supply
          and bought some metal and rubber expanding pipe
          plugs, 1 1/4 inch diameter, I believe. I then drilled
          1 1/4 in inch diameter holes through the bottom of
          the boat, and coated the end-grain of the ply with
          3 or 4 coats of epoxy (I tried to line the holes with
          little strips of glass cloth but could not get the cloth
          to stay in place.) The boat drains real fast through those
          1 1/4 inch holes. By the way, I carry spare plugs in
          both boats, should one get misplaced.

          For his AF4, Jim M just drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the
          bottom and stuck an expanding plug into it.

          Max
        • fogovonslack
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 30, 2004
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:

            > You did a much more "professional" job
            > on your drain than i did on mine.
            >

            > For the AF4, I installed (4) plastic versions
            > of what you installed, but i did not bother
            > to "recess" the flange, so the last little bit
            > of water will not drain out. Also, I have
            > to use teflon pipe tape on the threads of the
            > plastic plugs, otherwise they weep a bit.

            I don't know about the mosquito populations where you live, but I
            didn't want to have a mosquito farm sitting in the driveway if any
            water got into the boat--there are more than enough without any help
            from me.

            I figure I'll use teflon tape with the bronze plug I have so I can get
            a good seal without a wrench.

            Any suggestions on attaching a lanyard to the plug? I've considered
            either drilling a hole through the square top of the plug and
            threading a cord through or just filing a bit of a groove in the
            corners of the square part with a rattail file and tying a cord around it.

            Tidmarsh