B&S

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2004
      I wonder if it's possible to make my air cooled lawnmower engine 6HP
      briggs&stratton less noisy. I hope it's possible to customize some
      other muffler, from a scooter engine for example, and mount it on the
      B&S exhaust. How about that? Any suggestions or experiences please?

      -Wojtek
    • b_owen_ca
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2004
        See my post #7260

        Bryant

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <citystudio@c...> wrote:
        > I wonder if it's possible to make my air cooled lawnmower engine
        6HP
        > briggs&stratton less noisy. I hope it's possible to customize some
        > other muffler, from a scooter engine for example, and mount it on
        the
        > B&S exhaust. How about that? Any suggestions or experiences please?
        >
        > -Wojtek
      • Bruce Hector
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2004
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "b_owen_ca" <mariner@n...> wrote:
          > See my post #7260

          Also, a LOT of the noise in an air cooled engine is the mechanical
          clatter of the pistons, rings, etc and is being amplified off the
          cooling fins. So quieting the exhaust is only marginally effective.

          You can experiment with shrouds and housings, but it's easy to
          interfere with the needed cooling air flow.

          Have you considered "Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones", only about a
          grand, and very effective. Or so I see in their commercials.

          Bruce Hector
        • Lincoln Ross
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 1:29 AM
            I suggest spending the same pile of dough on attending rock concerts as
            often as possible. A permanent solution, no need to wear bulky
            headphones, and preferably inhibits those more annoying high frequency
            noises.

            Lincoln Ross
            still able to hear annoying sounds

            >Bruce Hector wrote:
            >

            >Also, a LOT of the noise in an air cooled engine is the mechanical
            >clatter of the pistons, rings, etc and is being amplified off the
            >cooling fins. So quieting the exhaust is only marginally effective.
            >
            >You can experiment with shrouds and housings, but it's easy to
            >interfere with the needed cooling air flow.
            >
            >Have you considered "Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones", only about a
            >grand, and very effective. Or so I see in their commercials.
            >
            >Bruce Hector

          • Bob Hayes
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1 6:42 AM
              I had a small 1.7 KW Onan generator powered by a B&S 3 or 4 hp . It was to run a small air conditioner on an old 28' steel hull boat and I wanted it quiet. It wasn't. I purchased a real muffler for it with the threaded ends. Special made for a Briggs. It did quiet the exhaust but then I found that the engine it self made too much noise. Just plain old engine noise like you would hear under a car hood. I sold it and bought a small Honda generator.

              I know that every one will have plans and ideas to cover the noise with a shroud or something but that is the issue you are covering the noise. Get some that is not noisy or live with it.

              I have said before in the discussion about the Briggs outboards. If you buy a Briggs it comes with a lot of noise. Some people would rather save the money and that's OK for them. Me, I want relative quiet on the water.
              Bob
              Houston, Tx
              wwbaginski <citystudio@...> wrote:
              I wonder if it's possible to make my air cooled lawnmower engine 6HP
              briggs&stratton less noisy. I hope it's possible to customize some
              other muffler, from a scooter engine for example, and mount it on the
              B&S exhaust. How about that? Any suggestions or experiences please?

              -Wojtek

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Bruce Hallman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1 8:58 AM
                I am beta testing the new Google EMail, which reads
                your email and serves up 'context sensitive' advertising.
                [privacy issues, I know]. Anyway, upon reading
                Lincoln's post, GMail suggested this website:

                http://www.protravelgear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28

                ...for 'noise canceling headphones'. That would work!

                [technology, ain't it great]

                The cost of a noisy Briggs & Stratton, plus $79 for noise
                cancelling headphones is still far cheaper than a quite
                4 stroke outboard. <grin>.

                Bruce Hallman