Drains?

  • fogovonslack
    Message 1 of 20 , May 26, 2004
      What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
      sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will work
      at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard case),
      but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom of a
      perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself to
      cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works just fine.)

      Tidmarsh
    • b_owen_ca
      Message 2 of 20 , May 26, 2004
        There are some small economical auto bailers for small dinghies that
        might do the job. Usually installed parallel to the centreboard.
        Common on Mirrors.

        Bryant

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fogovonslack" <fogovonslack@y...>
        wrote:
        > What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
        > sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will
        work
        > at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard
        case),
        > but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom of
        > perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself
        > cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works just
        fine.)

        > Tidmarsh
      • kydocfrog
        Message 3 of 20 , May 26, 2004
          I used to own a Cape Dory 14 Cat (a wonderful boat; no longer made)
          which had a great bronze drain plug in the transom at the bottom of
          the keel channel. It fit between the transom and the rudder. Worked
          great and never gave me any problems. You really don't want to
          trailer water around, and it a lot easier to watch it pour out than
          stand on your head and bail it.

          DavidA

          wrote:
          > What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
          > sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will
          work
          > at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard
          case),
          > but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom
          of a
          > perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself
          > cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works
          just fine.)

          > Tidmarsh
        • sacalman
          Message 4 of 20 , May 26, 2004
            I had a bronze one in my Lightening that I eventually replaced with a
            Nylon one because of corrosion problems. Salt water ya know? I also
            have a gate bailer on each side of the CB trunk and trap doors in the
            transom that are 6" X 9". Those things are great when you swamp
            because if you can get the boat to move, the water will run to the
            stern and right out the back. I intend to add them to the Piccup I am
            building this summer because I hate bailing and also intend to be
            able to sail this boat through light surf to get off the beach I like
            most for fishing. Nothing wrong with a few holes in the bottom...

            Scott Calman

            wrote:
            > What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
            > sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will
            work
            > at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard
            case),
            > but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom of
            > perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself
            > cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works just
            fine.)

            > Tidmarsh
          • vexatious2001
            Message 5 of 20 , May 26, 2004
              wrote:
              > What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
              > sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will
              work
              > at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard
              case),
              > but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom
              of a
              > perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself
              > cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works
              just fine.)

              > Tidmarsh

              I like having lots of drains; I have (4) in the AF4 and
              (3) in the AF3.

              I like to be sure that water does not accumulate anywhere
              in the boats during storage, and I place the drains where
              the water would tend to collect; in the Oracle, for
              example, the single drain is near the bow, since the
              boat sits bow-down on the trailer in storage.

              Lots of drains also make it easy to "hose-out" the
              boats after use, making it easy to avoid the
              accumulation of mud that lead to Jim M's rot
              problems with his AF4.

              Max
            • John B. Trussell
              Message 6 of 20 , May 26, 2004
                Drain plugs are wonderful things. Locate them in the part of the boat which will be lowest when the boat is stored on its trailer. And be sure the plug is in before you launch the boat!!! (Been there, done that.) I find that most bronze plugs are intended for planking thicker than 1/4 inch, so I use the nylon ones and cut them down to fit.
                > What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
                > sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will
                work
                > at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard
                case),
                > but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom
                of a
                > perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself
                > cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works
                just fine.)

                > Tidmarsh

                I like having lots of drains; I have (4) in the AF4 and
                (3) in the AF3.

                I like to be sure that water does not accumulate anywhere
                in the boats during storage, and I place the drains where
                the water would tend to collect; in the Oracle, for
                example, the single drain is near the bow, since the
                boat sits bow-down on the trailer in storage.

                Lots of drains also make it easy to "hose-out" the
                boats after use, making it easy to avoid the
                accumulation of mud that lead to Jim M's rot
                problems with his AF4.

                Max

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • kydocfrog
                Message 7 of 20 , May 27, 2004
                  Hmmm... I like the idea of several and designed for hose out. Hadn't
                  thought of that. That goes in the construction notes file.

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fogovonslack"
                  <fogovonslack@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
                  > > sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will
                  > work
                  > > at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard
                  > case),
                  > > but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom
                  > of a
                  > > perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining
                  myself
                  > > cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works
                  > just fine.)
                  > >
                  > > Tidmarsh
                  >

                  > I like having lots of drains; I have (4) in the AF4 and
                  > (3) in the AF3.
                  >
                  > I like to be sure that water does not accumulate anywhere
                  > in the boats during storage, and I place the drains where
                  > the water would tend to collect; in the Oracle, for
                  > example, the single drain is near the bow, since the
                  > boat sits bow-down on the trailer in storage.
                  >
                  > Lots of drains also make it easy to "hose-out" the
                  > boats after use, making it easy to avoid the
                  > accumulation of mud that lead to Jim M's rot
                  > problems with his AF4.
                  >

                  > Max
                • fogovonslack
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 27, 2004
                    Cleaning out the construction debris in preparation for launch gave me
                    the idea: scrub, rinse, shop vac water out of bilge; repeat. Got kind
                    of tiresome. Plus a little added insurance in case the tarp over the
                    cockpit leaks or blows away.

                    I still have a slight psychological problem with drilling a hole
                    through the bottom of my brand new boat. Then again, I have lots of
                    issues. ;-)

                    Tidmarsh

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "kydocfrog" <kydocfrog@y...> wrote:
                    > Hmmm... I like the idea of several and designed for hose out. Hadn't
                    > thought of that. That goes in the construction notes file.
                    >

                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I like having lots of drains; I have (4) in the AF4 and
                    > > (3) in the AF3.
                    > >
                    > > I like to be sure that water does not accumulate anywhere
                    > > in the boats during storage, and I place the drains where
                    > > the water would tend to collect; in the Oracle, for
                    > > example, the single drain is near the bow, since the
                    > > boat sits bow-down on the trailer in storage.
                    > >
                    > > Lots of drains also make it easy to "hose-out" the
                    > > boats after use, making it easy to avoid the
                    > > accumulation of mud that lead to Jim M's rot
                    > > problems with his AF4.
                    > >

                    > > Max
                  • fogovonslack
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 27, 2004
                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
                      > It will be very handy until the day you launch without the plug in. If
                      > you're alert and the drain is small and in a visible place, that won't
                      > be a disaster. At least, that was my experience with my little sailboat
                      > with a drain. My boat's drain was a threaded plastic plug maybe 1/2" or
                      > so in diameter. If it had gotten away from me on the day I launched
                      > without it, I would have had a problem. A thick spot in the fiberglass
                      > was tapped for it. Worked well, but did not have any kind of
                      retainer on it.

                      > Lincoln

                      A retainer for the plug is a good idea. Turns out that the low spot in
                      the boat while sitting on the drailer is in the center immediately aft
                      of the centerboard case. In other words, the middle of the cockpit,
                      right at my feet. Should be plenty visible.

                      THanks for the tip.

                      Tidmarsh
                    • Lincoln Ross
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 27, 2004
                        It will be very handy until the day you launch without the plug in. If
                        you're alert and the drain is small and in a visible place, that won't
                        be a disaster. At least, that was my experience with my little sailboat
                        with a drain. My boat's drain was a threaded plastic plug maybe 1/2" or
                        so in diameter. If it had gotten away from me on the day I launched
                        without it, I would have had a problem. A thick spot in the fiberglass
                        was tapped for it. Worked well, but did not have any kind of retainer on it.

                        Lincoln

                        >Tidmarsh wrote:
                        >
                        >What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
                        >sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will work
                        >at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard case),
                        >but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom of a
                        >perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself to
                        >cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works just fine.)
                        >
                        >Tidmarsh

                      • Bob Hayes
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 28, 2004
                          Any one who has not launched with the drain plug out just needs to do more boating. It WILL happen sooner or later.

                          Experience is just another name for mistakes and I have lots of experience.

                          Bob
                          Houston, Texas

                          Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@...> wrote:
                          It will be very handy until the day you launch without the plug in. If
                          you're alert and the drain is small and in a visible place, that won't
                          be a disaster. At least, that was my experience with my little sailboat
                          with a drain. My boat's drain was a threaded plastic plug maybe 1/2" or
                          so in diameter. If it had gotten away from me on the day I launched
                          without it, I would have had a problem. A thick spot in the fiberglass
                          was tapped for it. Worked well, but did not have any kind of retainer on it.

                          Lincoln

                          >Tidmarsh wrote:
                          >
                          >What do you folks think about installing a drain in a trailer
                          >sailboat? There's a bronze garboard drain plug that I think will work
                          >at the lowest point in my boat (center, just behing centerboard case),
                          >but I just have a real issue about drilling a hole in the bottom of a
                          >perfectly good boat. (Then again, I had a hard time brining myself to
                          >cut out the centerboard slot for the same reason, and it works just fine.)
                          >
                          >Tidmarsh

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • Lincoln Ross
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 28, 2004
                            Probably a good idea, but a threaded plug, which is what I had,
                            precludes this.

                            > Tidmarsh wrote:
                            >
                            >A retainer for the plug is a good idea. Turns out that the low spot in
                            >the boat while sitting on the drailer is in the center immediately aft
                            >of the centerboard case. In other words, the middle of the cockpit,
                            >right at my feet. Should be plenty visible.
                            >
                            >THanks for the tip.

                          • fogovonslack
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 29, 2004
                              Could you drill & tap a hole into the top of the plug for a small
                              eyebolt?

                              Tidmarsh

                              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
                              > Probably a good idea, but a threaded plug, which is what I had,
                              > precludes this.

                            • Lincoln Ross
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 30, 2004
                                Yes, but what do you do with the string or chain as you are turning the
                                plug to get it out? Also, how do you grab the plug with the eyebolt in
                                the way? And, if your toes are like mine, they will find the eyebolt the
                                first time you sail barefoot.

                                >fogovonslack" <fogovonslack@...>
                                >wrote:
                                >Could you drill & tap a hole into the top of the plug for a small
                                >eyebolt?
                                >
                                >Tidmarsh
                                >
                                >--- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>> Probably a good idea, but a threaded plug, which is what I had,
                                >>> precludes this.

                              • woodcraftssuch
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 30, 2004
                                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Lincoln Ross <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
                                  > It will be very handy until the day you launch without the plug in.
                                  If
                                  > you're alert and the drain is small and in a visible place, that
                                  won't
                                  > be a disaster. At least, that was my experience with my little
                                  sailboat
                                  > with a drain. My boat's drain was a threaded plastic plug maybe
                                  1/2" or
                                  > so in diameter. If it had gotten away from me on the day I launched
                                  > without it, I would have had a problem. A thick spot in the
                                  fiberglass
                                  > was tapped for it. Worked well, but did not have any kind of
                                  retainer on it.

                                  > Lincoln

                                  If alertness fails,eventually it becomes obvious the plug is not
                                  in and just being awake will usually suffice. :)
                                  A screw or bolt through the last link of a retaining chain into
                                  the plug will allow it to rotate, a spare or two is also handy.
                                • John B. Trussell
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 30, 2004
                                    In addition to a screw-in drain plug, it is possible to use a rubber plug with a lever to expand the plug in the drain hole/tube. It is certainly possible to tie such a plug to the boat with some sort of lanyard. In theory, such a plug may be more likely to fall out or come loose tham a screw in plug, but in practice, I've never known it to happen.

                                    John T

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 31, 2004
                                      I've used rubber plugs with a lever on my parent's old runabout quite a
                                      bit and they have worked quite well. They are pretty much toe unfriendly
                                      for barefoot boaters, I suspect, and also a heck of a lot larger so on a
                                      small boat you have less time to put the ~!@# thing back in if you
                                      forgot. You'd need to make the bottom quite a bit thicker in that spot
                                      in many cases. There's another kind that's simpler which you just rotate
                                      but otherwise has the same weaknesses.

                                      The screw or bolt thru a chain idea will work, but it will really get in
                                      the way of the screwdriver on a simple threaded plug. I wouldn't expect
                                      the retaining chain (or the skin on one's bare foot) to survive a fast
                                      tack or jibe.

                                      For most of the above, I'm assumint the aforementioned location just
                                      behind the centerboard trunk. On a transom it's probably a whole other
                                      story.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 28, 2004
                                        Well, I finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the bottom of a
                                        perfectly good boat. I installed a drain plug this weekend.

                                        I ordered one of these about a month ago:
                                        http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,8258.html

                                        I installed it over the weekend. First I used a 2" forstner bit to
                                        mortise the flange, and then a 1" spade bit to drill out the drain
                                        hole. (Don't tell anyone, but I spent $30 on drill bits to install a
                                        $5 drain plug.) I thought that I would have to cut or grind some of
                                        the drain off, but it turned out to be just the thickness of the hull
                                        at the deepest point.

                                        Then I painted the inside of the hole and installed with three 1/2" #8
                                        wood screws and lots of Dynaflex 430 caulk as bedding compound. I am
                                        hopeful that it will be cured enough to launch next weekend.

                                        Tidmarsh
                                      • vexatious2001
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 28, 2004
                                          wrote:
                                          > Well, I finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the bottom of
                                          > perfectly good boat. I installed a drain plug this weekend.
                                          >
                                          > I ordered one of these about a month ago:
                                          > http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,8258.html
                                          >
                                          > I installed it over the weekend. First I used a 2" forstner bit to
                                          > mortise the flange, and then a 1" spade bit to drill out the drain
                                          > hole. (Don't tell anyone, but I spent $30 on drill bits to install
                                          > $5 drain plug.) I thought that I would have to cut or grind some of
                                          > the drain off, but it turned out to be just the thickness of the
                                          hull
                                          > at the deepest point.
                                          >
                                          > Then I painted the inside of the hole and installed with three
                                          1/2" #8
                                          > wood screws and lots of Dynaflex 430 caulk as bedding compound. I
                                          am
                                          > hopeful that it will be cured enough to launch next weekend.
                                          >
                                          > Tidmarsh

                                          You did a much more "professional" job
                                          on your drain than i did on mine.

                                          For the AF4, I installed (4) plastic versions
                                          of what you installed, but i did not bother
                                          to "recess" the flange, so the last little bit
                                          of water will not drain out. Also, I have
                                          to use teflon pipe tape on the threads of the
                                          plastic plugs, otherwise they weep a bit.

                                          On the AF3, I went to Home Depot marine supply
                                          and bought some metal and rubber expanding pipe
                                          plugs, 1 1/4 inch diameter, I believe. I then drilled
                                          1 1/4 in inch diameter holes through the bottom of
                                          the boat, and coated the end-grain of the ply with
                                          3 or 4 coats of epoxy (I tried to line the holes with
                                          little strips of glass cloth but could not get the cloth
                                          to stay in place.) The boat drains real fast through those
                                          1 1/4 inch holes. By the way, I carry spare plugs in
                                          both boats, should one get misplaced.

                                          For his AF4, Jim M just drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the
                                          bottom and stuck an expanding plug into it.

                                          Max
                                        • fogovonslack
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 30, 2004
                                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:

                                            > You did a much more "professional" job
                                            > on your drain than i did on mine.
                                            >

                                            > For the AF4, I installed (4) plastic versions
                                            > of what you installed, but i did not bother
                                            > to "recess" the flange, so the last little bit
                                            > of water will not drain out. Also, I have
                                            > to use teflon pipe tape on the threads of the
                                            > plastic plugs, otherwise they weep a bit.

                                            I don't know about the mosquito populations where you live, but I
                                            didn't want to have a mosquito farm sitting in the driveway if any
                                            water got into the boat--there are more than enough without any help
                                            from me.

                                            I figure I'll use teflon tape with the bronze plug I have so I can get
                                            a good seal without a wrench.

                                            Any suggestions on attaching a lanyard to the plug? I've considered
                                            either drilling a hole through the square top of the plug and
                                            threading a cord through or just filing a bit of a groove in the
                                            corners of the square part with a rattail file and tying a cord around it.

                                            Tidmarsh