Re: A boy never forgets his first time.

  • orpdh
    Message 1 of 38 , May 1 5:27 AM
      --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
      > I had been putting it off as long as I could.
      >
      > I was worried about how I would perform.
      >
      > But I couldn't put it off any longer.
      >
      > I needed a cover for the cabin slot.

      I had my first experience recently making a sail for my Piccup.

      I tried the tape and found it to be somewhat problematic. I
      defaulted to using straight pins to hold hems in place. Seemed to
      work much easier when it came time to sew.
    • Mike Mulcahy
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 4, 2006
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, norman.wolfe@... wrote:

        > When trailering I use a two piece plywood cover for the slot. At
        first I
        > used no cover while trailering and lost some items from below decks
        due
        > to the wind. The plywood cover is in two almost identical sections
        > make for easier handling, and they have a camber to shed rain. They
        are
        > tied down to three solid brass cup hooks per side, which also hold
        down
        > the canvas slot cover.
        >
        > There is no hole for the mast, so I lower the mast at night, which
        is
        > very easy since the mast is steeped in the bottom of the boat, so
        the
        > balance point is low. If it is raining while I am sailing, I pull
        the
        > cover around the mast as best I can, but it is a very poor fit.
        > Solution: don't sail in the rain.
        >
        > In addition, I have made a mosquito-net slot cover for the warm
        nights
        > on the Chesapeake, using the same shock chord over cup hook for
        > attaching it.

        Sounds like you do a lot of camp-cruising. Cool.

        Thanks for answering my questions.

        Mike