A boy never forgets his first time.

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 30 9:01 PM
      I had been putting it off as long as I could.

      I was worried about how I would perform.

      But I couldn't put it off any longer.

      I needed a cover for the cabin slot.

      So I drug out the 50-buck flea-market "DeLuxe Dressmaker"
      that had been sitting beneath the work bench for about
      a year and tried to sew-up a slot cover out of polytarp.

      Aint never sewed nothing in my life.

      I broke the thread (several times), broke the needle,
      which went flying (protective eyewear recommended), used
      up a bunch of polytarp, double-sided carpet tape, and
      cheap thread. Had problems with thread tension, and had
      to keep removing the needle from the machine in order to
      thread it (how does one thread a needle with its hole
      blocked with carpet tape adhesive? by jamming a toothbrush
      at it to clear the hole.)

      Was "hard-at-it" for 4 hours.

      I still do not have a slot-cover, but I have enough tarp
      and tape and thread for one more try and I think I'll whup-it
      this time.

      Max
    • Mike Mulcahy
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 4, 2006
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, norman.wolfe@... wrote:

        > When trailering I use a two piece plywood cover for the slot. At
        first I
        > used no cover while trailering and lost some items from below decks
        due
        > to the wind. The plywood cover is in two almost identical sections
        > make for easier handling, and they have a camber to shed rain. They
        are
        > tied down to three solid brass cup hooks per side, which also hold
        down
        > the canvas slot cover.
        >
        > There is no hole for the mast, so I lower the mast at night, which
        is
        > very easy since the mast is steeped in the bottom of the boat, so
        the
        > balance point is low. If it is raining while I am sailing, I pull
        the
        > cover around the mast as best I can, but it is a very poor fit.
        > Solution: don't sail in the rain.
        >
        > In addition, I have made a mosquito-net slot cover for the warm
        nights
        > on the Chesapeake, using the same shock chord over cup hook for
        > attaching it.

        Sounds like you do a lot of camp-cruising. Cool.

        Thanks for answering my questions.

        Mike