Modified Larsboat

  • teachtech47
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
      Ok group time to tell me everything I did wrong and why it won't
      work the way I thought. I have posted some new pictures of my
      modified Larsboat. Remember, Larsboat is designed as a double
      paddle semi-decked canoe. I modified it to use with a trolling
      motor (36 pound thrust electric), and a sail (40 square foot loose
      footed). It has been significantly re-enforced, in what I believe
      is the proper way, to deal with the added stresses of sailing and a
      trolling motor. The pictures are under Michalak Boat photo only 2
      Larsboat modified. I will post more as I work through the completion
      and finally sea trials. Today I applied a thickened coat of epoxy to
      fill the weave on the bottom. Next week I will complete the decking
      fore and aft with the combing and hatch for the storage area. I
      intend to use lee boards and rudder with over center springing
      instead of weights to keep them down. I will build the rudder to be
      used with the same tiller extension I intend to use with the
      trolling motor. Again. OK GROUP
      LET ME HAVE IT!!!
    • James Meloy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
        I hope that you get some good input "teachtech". I'm interested in building on your mods. Do you have any prediction for sea trial dates?

        Best to you,
        Jim

      • teachtech47
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
          I hope to have it done by the end of the month. Sea trials by
          happen in May. It is stil cold around here in New York. Suppose to
          snow tomorrow with a low of 28. I have no intention of going out on
          the Hudson with an untried boat at 40. Besides, the state of New
          York has an unbelievable set of hurdles to jump through to register
          a boat. I will post all of the details of my mods when I am done
          and it is tested. You probably can tell a lot by the pictures
          though.