Springtime bulkhead building

  • GarthAB
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      It's 40 degrees and raining here in the western Catskills, but I've
      begun cutting and screwing and gluing the bulkheads for Cormorant,
      doing the cutting outside on the porch, and bringing in one bulkhead
      at a time to sit by the woodstove and get warm and dry before the
      Titebond II goes on and the screws go in. I'll do one a day, or so,
      until all 9 (including the transom) are finished. It's all 1/2" MDO
      and 1.5" x 1.5" Douglas Fir framing, ripped out of a bunch of 2x8s.
      Very substantial pieces, speaking of the substantial boat to come.

      Boy, does this make me happy! Finally, some more progress toward a
      boat. There's hope!

      All best,
      Garth

      P.S. Other recent boat developments -- I got a free trailer from a
      local farmer. A rusty old 14-footer that has sat out in a field for
      years. But the frame is basically sound. I put new lights on it, am
      getting new tires and bearings. Then I'll bolt on some 4x4 crossbunks
      to hold Mayfly steady. Total cost, including the bottle of scotch
      given to the farmer -- maybe $100. Now we're all set for some real
      traveling -- no more cartopping! And I hope we can even strap a canoe
      on top of Mayfly and perhaps a Mouseboat in the cockpit. . . .