Springtime bulkhead building
- It's 40 degrees and raining here in the western Catskills, but I've
begun cutting and screwing and gluing the bulkheads for Cormorant,
doing the cutting outside on the porch, and bringing in one bulkhead
at a time to sit by the woodstove and get warm and dry before the
Titebond II goes on and the screws go in. I'll do one a day, or so,
until all 9 (including the transom) are finished. It's all 1/2" MDO
and 1.5" x 1.5" Douglas Fir framing, ripped out of a bunch of 2x8s.
Very substantial pieces, speaking of the substantial boat to come.
Boy, does this make me happy! Finally, some more progress toward a
boat. There's hope!
P.S. Other recent boat developments -- I got a free trailer from a
local farmer. A rusty old 14-footer that has sat out in a field for
years. But the frame is basically sound. I put new lights on it, am
getting new tires and bearings. Then I'll bolt on some 4x4 crossbunks
to hold Mayfly steady. Total cost, including the bottle of scotch
given to the farmer -- maybe $100. Now we're all set for some real
traveling -- no more cartopping! And I hope we can even strap a canoe
on top of Mayfly and perhaps a Mouseboat in the cockpit. . . .