MDO again

  • Don Elwell
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
      Im curious about the "checking" issue and MDO. As Im fighting to understand it, the main reason, other than simple armoring, for epoxy and fabric covers is to eliminate checking in the paneling that can lead to water finding its way in....Since MDO is already bonded to a paper surface to prevent this, would one need to fabric cover MDO, or would epoxy bonded to the native cover of the MDO be enough.

      Chuck? Anybody?
    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
        It might be useful to point out that Chris Craft used MDO to build their
        lapstrake skiffs, as well as their plywood hulls. Go find a forty-year-old
        specimen and tell me how much failure you see.... It's tough stuff.

        David Romasco

        _____

          | Im curious about the "checking" issue and MDO. As Im fighting to
          understand it, the main reason, other than simple armoring, for epoxy and
          fabric covers is to eliminate checking in the paneling that can lead to
          water finding its way in....Since MDO is already bonded to a paper surface
          to prevent this, would one need to fabric cover MDO, or would epoxy bonded
          to the native cover of the MDO be enough.

          | Chuck? Anybody?
          |

          | Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Chuck Leinweber
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
            John and David are right, Don. All you need over MDO is paint. If you are
            a real perfectionist, use primer first.

            Chuck

            > Im curious about the "checking" issue and MDO. As Im fighting to
            understand it, the main reason, other than simple armoring, for epoxy and
            fabric covers is to eliminate checking in the paneling that can lead to
            water finding its way in....Since MDO is already bonded to a paper surface
            to prevent this, would one need to fabric cover MDO, or would epoxy bonded
            to the native cover of the MDO be enough.

            > Chuck? Anybody?
          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
              I glassed the areas where water would stand, even though they were mdo. Belt and suspenders. As it is, I usually have water standing
              in the cockpit after a rain, till I sponge it out or it evaporates (works it's way under the tarp).

              No problems yet, knock on glassed over, paper coverd, semi-marine plywood.

              To answer your question. Do you have to? No. Would you want to? Possibly, in some places.

              Mostly I just taped the joints, but un the cockpit, the motor well, and of course the the hull, everything got a layer or three of
              glass.

              The unglassed areas are holding up fine, could use another coat of paint. After I get the shop built.