Re: [Michalak] Mast varnishing

  • Dawn and Derek
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
      Several spars later, I'm a "Spar-B-Q" believer. A pair of thrift-store
      roller-blades were sacrificed to the cause. Two wheels still attached to a
      bit of the chassis make a roller cradle. Two such cradles clamped to
      sawhorses will happily support at least twenty feet of mast. Move them up or
      down the mast between coats and the edges feather in without problem. Simple
      wooden chucks will grip and turn a variety of differing spar end-shapes.

      If you haven't already bought the spar varnish, water based exterior
      polyurethanes ("Varathane") dry to the touch in minutes rather than hours,
      are tough as nails, durable in all weathers, and retouch easily. The whole
      spar can be multi-coat finished in one warm day.

      A parting thought; It may be worth remembering that once the mast is
      stepped, nobody gets a close look at the top half....

      cheers
      Derek
    • John Ewing
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
        Place two sawhorses the length of the mast/spar apart. Drive a couple screws or nails part-way, an inch or less apart, on the top of each but near the edge facing the other horse. Drive a long screw or nail into each end of the spar/mast, roughly on its axis. Suspend between the horses. The spar/mast will turn freely as you paint, while the pairs of nails in the horses will keep it from wandering off. After it's dry, remove pivot screws/nails and fill holes (especially the top one).

        John

      • fogovonslack
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn and Derek" <dgw@d...> wrote:
          <SNIP>
          > If you haven't already bought the spar varnish, water based exterior
          > polyurethanes ("Varathane") dry to the touch in minutes rather than
          hours,
          > are tough as nails, durable in all weathers, and retouch easily. The
          whole
          > spar can be multi-coat finished in one warm day.

          I haven't tried that--so far I've used "spar urethane" (not
          water-based) which takes significantly longer than that to dry.

          Will water-based polyurethanes stick to oil-based when it comes time
          to re-coat?

          <SNIP>
          > A parting thought; It may be worth remembering that once the mast is
          > stepped, nobody gets a close look at the top half....

          Nobody gets a close look at the bottom two feet either, which are
          under the deck when stepped. ;-)

          I considered making a horizontal mast step to hold the mast sideways
          by the bottom part, which would then be painted once the visible
          portions of the mast were varnished:

          | |
          ================================== <---(mast)
          | |
        • Derek Waters
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
            >"Will water-based polyurethanes stick to oil-based when it comes time
            to re-coat?"

            The honest answer is " I don't know". It will go on and stay on over stains,
            and over epoxy, but I've never tried the oil-based stuff as a basecoat.
            Flecto have a help line you might call; 1-800-635-3286.

            cheers
            Derek