sails

  • ron17571
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2004
      Ive been reading and planing my boat build and have been thinking
      about the sail setup ill use.I admit a certain desire for a lateen
      sail but im kind of open to a lug sail.Anyhow the regular dacron type
      sail seems a bit pricey so ive been reading about this polytarp sail
      stuff,then i remembered this site,www.shelter-systems.com/shelters
      html check it out and look at the materials used.i sent the
      company an e-mail and told them to think about sails as anouther way
      of making some money,at least for us low budget high fun types.This
      stuff seems stronger than polytarp.Mabe some interest would help
      determine its usefullness.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2004
        If some other material costs very much more than heavy duty polytarp, a real dacron sail
        might turn out to be a better buy.

        Or, if you want a white sail at under 1/3rd dacron's retail and if you don't need one of
        the available complete poly kits, use one of Jim's darted layouts and visit
        http://www.tarps.com/
        for a pretty good value.

        I'm trying Jim's single dart L'oM with tape.
        Mark

        ron17571 wrote:

        > Ive been reading and planing my boat build and have been thinking
        > about the sail setup ill use.I admit a certain desire for a lateen
        > sail but im kind of open to a lug sail.Anyhow the regular dacron type
        > sail seems a bit pricey so ive been reading about this polytarp sail
        > stuff,then i remembered this site,www.shelter-systems.com/shelters
        > html check it out and look at the materials used.i sent the
        > company an e-mail and told them to think about sails as anouther way
        > of making some money,at least for us low budget high fun types.This
        > stuff seems stronger than polytarp.Mabe some interest would help
        > determine its usefullness.

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2004
          Ron,

          >From some Weekender help pages at
          http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/geyser/
          was
          > A new material I have come in contact with is a laminated polyethylene film. This material holds great promise as a sail material for our boats for the following reasons. It is made of two ply's of high density polyethylene that are cross biased at 0 and 90 degrees and bonded together to give great strength in all directions. It is puncture resistant and when punctured it resists tearing. There is also a self-adhering tape that is made form the same material and is just for this. This makes the use of other tapes unnecessary and creates a stronger bond. It is also UV protected and was designed for out door use. It comes in white or black but the white is most desirable for sails. The use of the tape plus a wide self-adhering film for corner patches means a stronger more durable sail. I hope to be able in the near future to be able to offer kits for sails of this product. If you are interested in this product please email me and I will send information to you. Over all maybe the best choice.

          mailto:smallisland@...

          Mark

        • ron17571@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
            Mark yes im interested in more info and im sure many here would like to know
            all about this material and how to get it.

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
              Googling on, "Laminated polyethylene film" didn't teach me much. I've sent an inquiry and
              will pass on anything useful here.
              Mark

              ron17571@... wrote:

              > Mark yes im interested in more info and im sure many here would like to know
              > all about this material and how to get it.
            • robert
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2013
                i am fixing to build the phils boat-i want to here from members on the type of sails the reccomend-i have already built and sail picara and luv it.
              • creditscorenz
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2013

                  Robert,

                  That sail is now onto it's fifth season. Last year I spent a couple of hours strengthening it by sewing the seams with fishing line.  Other than that I've done no maintenance.  The light flexible battens are the secret.  They prevent the sail chafing against the mast and by preventing billowing, maintain good sail shape without the incredible luff tensions required in a standard lug sail.

                  Cheers,

                  Rob.