Picara

  • paxton_consulting
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 5 7:22 AM
      I really like JM's new design, Picara.
      (http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/#Picara) It's probably what
      I've been looking for. It should be very stable with it's 7' beam,
      ballast, multi-chined hull and self-righting capability. My guess is
      it would handle well on inland lakes and even coastal cruising on the
      Great Lakes. The sleeping area looks similar to Caprice's. Picara
      should be easy to trailer, and daysail up to 5 people comfortably.
      Looks like a great little cruiser for two, too.

      (I wish JM would indicate the sail area, and show a looking-down-from-
      above view in his boat descriptions.)

      Anyone else have some thoughts on Picara?

      Bill Paxton
    • sharpie3444
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2012
        The square opening in the aft deck is the "footwell" one sits on the deck and places the feet and legs into the well. Likely one could have the foot well long enough to seat at least three. I raised the deck in the cabin at the aft end abt 10 inches to get a flat sleeping area and place a well in that area large enougn to seat 2 to 4 more people - depending on size of the people. The footwell has a raised lip about 1.5 inches high to keep water out of the footwell , I place a 2 inch boat cushing behind that and also installed backrest, worked out OK, also one can sit with ones feet on the oppisite side of the footwell to brace oneself.

        David