Re: [Michalak] Digest Number 669

  • Bryant Owen & Pat Powell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hello. i hope someone gets this because I am not familiar withYahoo groups.
      I am Bryant Owen's (the moderator of this group) wife. He has been in the
      hospital since Tuesday morning with a bruised kidney. He is confined to
      complete bed rest in hospital until he is healed. I thought the group should
      know as there are many messages showing up. Keep him in your thoughts and
      prayers. Thanks. - Pat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        My prayers are with Bryant for a full recovery!

        Steve Bosquette

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen & Pat Powell"
        <mariner@n...> wrote:
        > Hello. i hope someone gets this because I am not familiar withYahoo
        groups.
        > I am Bryant Owen's (the moderator of this group) wife. He has been
        in the
        > hospital since Tuesday morning with a bruised kidney. He is
        confined to
        > complete bed rest in hospital until he is healed. I thought the
        group should
        > know as there are many messages showing up. Keep him in your
        thoughts and
        > prayers. Thanks. - Pat

        __

        __

        > > Message: 1
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:24:56 +1000
        > > From: "Luke S" <lukesp@b...>
        > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
        > >
        > > I'm in Brisbane Dave. Clermont is west of Rockhampton, right ?
        > >
        > > I have never been there myself. I need to find a map to get an
        idea of the
        > place.
        > >
        > > Luke S.

        Terms of
        > Service.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        __

        __

        > > Message: 2
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:24:02 +1000
        > > From: "David & Shirley Wallace" <swallace@c...>
        > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
        > >
        > > Luke
        > >
        > > Go west from Rockhampton about 300 km to Emerald then go north
        100 km to
        > Clermont , that puts it about 300 km west of Mackay
        > >
        > > David W

        Terms of
        > Service.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        of
        > Service.

        __

        __

        > > Message: 3
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:39:58 +1000
        > > From: "Luke S" <lukesp@b...>
        > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
        > >
        > > OK, next question. Where would you use a boat at Clermont ? Is
        there a
        > river there ? I'm ignorant of that entire area.
        > >
        > > Luke S.

        Terms of
        > Service.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Terms of
        > Service.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        __

        __

        > > Message: 4
        > > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:52:57 -0500
        > > From: "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...>
        > > Subject: Re: Re: Any tips on cutting bevels with a circular saw?
        > >
        > > Many circular saws will accept a rip fence which greatly
        simplifies
        > ripping strips. You need to make sure that the screw or knob used
        to adjust
        > the thickness of the rip is screwed down tight because if it comes
        loose
        > during the cut, you will cut a curve--been there, done that. You
        also need
        > a way to hold the plank being ripped. The best I've been able to
        come up
        > with is a jig with a stop on one end.
        > >
        > > You can adjust a skil saw to cut odd bevels. Simply cut a piece
        of
        > cardboard to the correct angle. With the saw unplugged, turn it
        upside
        > down, pull the guard out of the way, and use your cardboard pattern
        > adjust the angle of the cut to the desired bevel.
        > >
        > > Have fun and be careful. Circular saws deserve great caution and
        respect.
        > If they don't get it, they bite!
        > >
        > > John T

        __

        __

        > > Message: 5
        > > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:15:58 -0800 (PST)
        > > From: doc <Malomac@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: Re: Any tips on cutting bevels with a circular saw?
        > >
        > > Circular saws:
        > >
        > > I have been a wood craftsman for over 40 years...... Been very
        fortunate,
        > very careful and only had one incident that is memorable,,, or
        perhaps two..

        > > I was re-decking a big floating boat dock... it was Friday
        afternoon,,,
        > about tired-thirty...
        > >
        > > I pulled the guard back, sat the saw on the deck to cut out a
        notch and
        > when I pulled the trigger it ran over my foot...... removing my
        right great
        > toe!!!,,, just behind the metal toe in my boot.....
        > > The doctor said it would never look like much, but he put it back
        on with
        > stainless wire....
        > > Well,,, it's 40 years come tomorrow and it works fine, as long as
        you
        > don't step on top of it!!.. Then I will hurt you!!
        > >
        > > Moral: Be darn careful with circular saws.
        > >
        > > I wish all you boat builders, designers, craftsmen, sailors and
        others a
        > very happy new year.
        > >
        > > doc

        __

        __

        > > Message: 6
        > > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:16:08 -0800 (PST)
        > > From: doc <Malomac@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: Re: Any tips on cutting bevels with a circular saw?
        > >
        > > Circular saws:
        > >
        > > I have been a wood craftsman for over 40 years...... Been very
        fortunate,
        > very careful and only had one incident that is memorable,,, or
        perhaps two..

        > > I was re-decking a big floating boat dock... it was Friday
        afternoon,,,
        > about tired-thirty...
        > >
        > > I pulled the guard back, sat the saw on the deck to cut out a
        notch and
        > when I pulled the trigger it ran over my foot...... removing my
        right great
        > toe!!!,,, just behind the metal toe in my boot.....
        > > The doctor said it would never look like much, but he put it back
        on with
        > stainless wire....
        > > Well,,, it's 40 years come tomorrow and it works fine, as long as
        you
        > don't step on top of it!!.. Then I will hurt you!!
        > >
        > > Moral: Be darn careful with circular saws.
        > >
        > > I wish all you boat builders, designers, craftsmen, sailors and
        others a
        > very happy new year.
        > >
        > > doc

        __

        __

        > > Message: 7
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:06:44 +1000
        > > From: "David & Shirley Wallace" <swallace@c...>
        > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
        > >
        > > Luke
        > >
        > > I can use the Jonsboat in the local water supply dam " Teresa
        Creek Dam "
        > I can also use it at the Fairburn dam about 120 km away , [ just
        south of
        > Emerald ] there is also the Burdekin Dam about 250 km north of
        here ,
        > several dams around MacKay and north to Proserpine ,
        > >
        > > I have a brother down on Boyne island south of Gladstone , my
        parents
        > are building a house at Miriam Vale [ south of Boyne Island ] and
        another
        > brother next door to them so I will have regular access to some of
        the best
        > protected waters on the Qld coast
        > >

        > > We had been pretty dry here , we been in drought for about 4
        years , but
        > just had some rain recently so our local dam is full
        > >

        > > Where about in Brisbane are you , I used to live in Beachmere .
        > >

        > > David Wallace

        Yahoo! Terms
        > of Service.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Terms of
        > Service.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        of
        > Service.

        __

        __

        > > Message: 8
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:26:49 +1000
        > > From: "Luke S" <lukesp@b...>
        > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
        > >
        > > I live in the Enoggera area Dave.
        > >
        > > The reason why I asked about available water to use the boat in
        was an
        > idea I had of moving to a remote area some time ago. No point going
        if I
        > can't use the boat. Maybe one day,
        > >
        > > Luke S.

        __

        __

> [...]
        > > neat
        > > > idea , I had some thing similar in mind when I ordered the AF4G
        > > > plans , I just wanted to see the plans to see how it would work
        > > out ,
        > > > so I had to buy them of course , I've been looking at the Karl
        > > > Stambaugh design Redwing 21 pilothouse and also the 23 and
        really
        > > > like them but the only thing that worried me was the weight ,
        the
        > > > AF4G with a Pilothouse looks like it will be considerably
        lighter ,
        > > > but I don't have to make a final decision for some time as I
        still
        > > > have several other projects to finish first ,
        > > >
        > > > Steve if your there , did you run it by Jim Michalak about
        changing
        > > > the design before you started building and if so what did he say

        __

        __

        > > Message: 12
        > > Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:07:14 -0000
        > > From: "Wayne Farris" <aub77@y...>
        > > Subject: Toto and Tip of the Year nomination
        > >
        > > Been applying coat after coat of paint to the outside part of my
        > > newly built Toto hull. Two coats of primer and I am now on the
        sixth
        > > coat of Krylon Exterior Latex paint. It is a dark green gloss
        and it
        > > goes on very thin. I had great luck using Krylon exterior oil-
        based
        > > paint so I thought I would try the latex version that others have
        > > raved about...especially for the price of about 6.75 a quart.
        > > Despite all of the coats I still have about a 1/3 of a quart left.
        > > It dries quickly and seems very hard. It just doesn't cover
        nearly
        > > as well as the oil based version. One more coat should do it and
        > > can finally start painting the interior.
        > >
        > > Shorty, if you are still out there lurking, thanks for the tip to
        put
        > > aluminum foil in the paint tray. I bought a 4 inch roller paint
        tray
        > > and with all of the coats of paint I am using, it sure is nice to
        > > just pull out the foil and toss it. Saves time and water.
        > >
        > > ---Wayne

        __

        __

        > > Message: 13
        > > Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:13:43 -0000
        > > From: "rodger" <rodgertn4999@y...>
        > > Subject: MDO plywood
        > >
        > > Happy New Year ,to all of you boat builders, got a question, where
        > > can one find MDO plywood, chain store lumber yard or non-chain
        store
        > > lumber yard.. ????? Bayard Cook did a magnificent job on his af4,
        > > need a few sheets to do my af4brev, this year, any help would be
        > > great, i pass by a lowes an home depot, plus there are some non-
        chain
        > > store lumber yards on my why home every nite.. thanks an happy
        boat
        > > building,,,,,, Rodger

        __

        __

        > > Message: 14
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:38:13 -0800 (PST)
        > > From: doc <Malomac@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: Toto and Tip of the Year nomination
        > >
        > > Wayne,,,
        > >
        > > just slip the paint tray into a small trash bag,,,, then when you
        are done
        > you can pull the pan out,,, throw the bag away!!!!!
        > >
        > > Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        > >
        > > doc

        __

        __

        > > Message: 15
        > > Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:35:03 -0000
        > > From: "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...>
        > > Subject: Re: MDO plywood
        > >
        > > Good luck finding the thin stuff.I looked all last week and
        couldnt
        > > find 1/4 or 3/8.You wont find it at a chain store.
        > >

        > > Mike
        > >

        > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rodger" <rodgertn4999@y...>
        wrote:
        > > > Happy New Year ,to all of you boat builders, got a question,
        where
        > > > can one find MDO plywood, chain store lumber yard or non-chain
        > > store
        > > > lumber yard.. ????? Bayard Cook did a magnificent job on his
        af4,
        > > > need a few sheets to do my af4brev, this year, any help would be
        > > > great, i pass by a lowes an home depot, plus there are some non-
        > > chain
        > > > store lumber yards on my why home every nite.. thanks an happy
        boat
        > > > building,,,,,, Rodger

        __

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • David & Shirley Wallace
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
          Same here , those hospitals are a good place to stay away from , when you go in you don't know for sure your going to leave , always a worry , I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about hospitals

          David Wallace

          <mariner@n...> wrote:
          > Hello. i hope someone gets this because I am not familiar withYahoo
          groups.
          > I am Bryant Owen's (the moderator of this group) wife. He has been
          in the
          > hospital since Tuesday morning with a bruised kidney. He is
          confined to
          > complete bed rest in hospital until he is healed. I thought the
          group should
          > know as there are many messages showing up. Keep him in your
          thoughts and
          > prayers. Thanks. - Pat

          __

          __

          > > Message: 1
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:24:56 +1000
          > > From: "Luke S" <lukesp@b...>
          > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
          > >
          > > I'm in Brisbane Dave. Clermont is west of Rockhampton, right ?
          > >
          > > I have never been there myself. I need to find a map to get an
          idea of the
          > place.
          > >
          > > Luke S.

          Terms of
          > Service.

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          __

          __

          > > Message: 2
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:24:02 +1000
          > > From: "David & Shirley Wallace" <swallace@c...>
          > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
          > >
          > > Luke
          > >
          > > Go west from Rockhampton about 300 km to Emerald then go north
          100 km to
          > Clermont , that puts it about 300 km west of Mackay
          > >
          > > David W

          Terms of
          > Service.

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          of
          > Service.

          __

          __

          > > Message: 3
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:39:58 +1000
          > > From: "Luke S" <lukesp@b...>
          > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
          > >
          > > OK, next question. Where would you use a boat at Clermont ? Is
          there a
          > river there ? I'm ignorant of that entire area.
          > >
          > > Luke S.

          Terms of
          > Service.

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Terms of
          > Service.

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          __

          __

          > > Message: 4
          > > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:52:57 -0500
          > > From: "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...>
          > > Subject: Re: Re: Any tips on cutting bevels with a circular saw?
          > >
          > > Many circular saws will accept a rip fence which greatly
          simplifies
          > ripping strips. You need to make sure that the screw or knob used
          to adjust
          > the thickness of the rip is screwed down tight because if it comes
          loose
          > during the cut, you will cut a curve--been there, done that. You
          also need
          > a way to hold the plank being ripped. The best I've been able to
          come up
          > with is a jig with a stop on one end.
          > >
          > > You can adjust a skil saw to cut odd bevels. Simply cut a piece
          of
          > cardboard to the correct angle. With the saw unplugged, turn it
          upside
          > down, pull the guard out of the way, and use your cardboard pattern
          > adjust the angle of the cut to the desired bevel.
          > >
          > > Have fun and be careful. Circular saws deserve great caution and
          respect.
          > If they don't get it, they bite!
          > >
          > > John T

          __

          __

          > > Message: 5
          > > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:15:58 -0800 (PST)
          > > From: doc <Malomac@y...>
          > > Subject: Re: Re: Any tips on cutting bevels with a circular saw?
          > >
          > > Circular saws:
          > >
          > > I have been a wood craftsman for over 40 years...... Been very
          fortunate,
          > very careful and only had one incident that is memorable,,, or
          perhaps two..

          > > I was re-decking a big floating boat dock... it was Friday
          afternoon,,,
          > about tired-thirty...
          > >
          > > I pulled the guard back, sat the saw on the deck to cut out a
          notch and
          > when I pulled the trigger it ran over my foot...... removing my
          right great
          > toe!!!,,, just behind the metal toe in my boot.....
          > > The doctor said it would never look like much, but he put it back
          on with
          > stainless wire....
          > > Well,,, it's 40 years come tomorrow and it works fine, as long as
          you
          > don't step on top of it!!.. Then I will hurt you!!
          > >
          > > Moral: Be darn careful with circular saws.
          > >
          > > I wish all you boat builders, designers, craftsmen, sailors and
          others a
          > very happy new year.
          > >
          > > doc

          __

          __

          > > Message: 6
          > > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:16:08 -0800 (PST)
          > > From: doc <Malomac@y...>
          > > Subject: Re: Re: Any tips on cutting bevels with a circular saw?
          > >
          > > Circular saws:
          > >
          > > I have been a wood craftsman for over 40 years...... Been very
          fortunate,
          > very careful and only had one incident that is memorable,,, or
          perhaps two..

          > > I was re-decking a big floating boat dock... it was Friday
          afternoon,,,
          > about tired-thirty...
          > >
          > > I pulled the guard back, sat the saw on the deck to cut out a
          notch and
          > when I pulled the trigger it ran over my foot...... removing my
          right great
          > toe!!!,,, just behind the metal toe in my boot.....
          > > The doctor said it would never look like much, but he put it back
          on with
          > stainless wire....
          > > Well,,, it's 40 years come tomorrow and it works fine, as long as
          you
          > don't step on top of it!!.. Then I will hurt you!!
          > >
          > > Moral: Be darn careful with circular saws.
          > >
          > > I wish all you boat builders, designers, craftsmen, sailors and
          others a
          > very happy new year.
          > >
          > > doc

          __

          __

          > > Message: 7
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:06:44 +1000
          > > From: "David & Shirley Wallace" <swallace@c...>
          > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
          > >
          > > Luke
          > >
          > > I can use the Jonsboat in the local water supply dam " Teresa
          Creek Dam "
          > I can also use it at the Fairburn dam about 120 km away , [ just
          south of
          > Emerald ] there is also the Burdekin Dam about 250 km north of
          here ,
          > several dams around MacKay and north to Proserpine ,
          > >
          > > I have a brother down on Boyne island south of Gladstone , my
          parents
          > are building a house at Miriam Vale [ south of Boyne Island ] and
          another
          > brother next door to them so I will have regular access to some of
          the best
          > protected waters on the Qld coast
          > >

          > > We had been pretty dry here , we been in drought for about 4
          years , but
          > just had some rain recently so our local dam is full
          > >

          > > Where about in Brisbane are you , I used to live in Beachmere .
          > >

          > > David Wallace

          __

          __

          > > Message: 8
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:26:49 +1000
          > > From: "Luke S" <lukesp@b...>
          > > Subject: Re: G'day , Intro
          > >
          > > I live in the Enoggera area Dave.
          > >
          > > The reason why I asked about available water to use the boat in
          was an
          > idea I had of moving to a remote area some time ago. No point going
          if I
          > can't use the boat. Maybe one day,
          > >
          > > Luke S.

          __

          __

> [...]
          > > neat
          > > > idea , I had some thing similar in mind when I ordered the AF4G
          > > > plans , I just wanted to see the plans to see how it would work
          > > out ,
          > > > so I had to buy them of course , I've been looking at the Karl
          > > > Stambaugh design Redwing 21 pilothouse and also the 23 and
          really
          > > > like them but the only thing that worried me was the weight ,
          the
          > > > AF4G with a Pilothouse looks like it will be considerably
          lighter ,
          > > > but I don't have to make a final decision for some time as I
          still
          > > > have several other projects to finish first ,
          > > >
          > > > Steve if your there , did you run it by Jim Michalak about
          changing
          > > > the design before you started building and if so what did he say

          __

          __

          > > Message: 12
          > > Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:07:14 -0000
          > > From: "Wayne Farris" <aub77@y...>
          > > Subject: Toto and Tip of the Year nomination
          > >
          > > Been applying coat after coat of paint to the outside part of my
          > > newly built Toto hull. Two coats of primer and I am now on the
          sixth
          > > coat of Krylon Exterior Latex paint. It is a dark green gloss
          and it
          > > goes on very thin. I had great luck using Krylon exterior oil-
          based
          > > paint so I thought I would try the latex version that others have
          > > raved about...especially for the price of about 6.75 a quart.
          > > Despite all of the coats I still have about a 1/3 of a quart left.
          > > It dries quickly and seems very hard. It just doesn't cover
          nearly
          > > as well as the oil based version. One more coat should do it and
          > > can finally start painting the interior.
          > >
          > > Shorty, if you are still out there lurking, thanks for the tip to
          put
          > > aluminum foil in the paint tray. I bought a 4 inch roller paint
          tray
          > > and with all of the coats of paint I am using, it sure is nice to
          > > just pull out the foil and toss it. Saves time and water.
          > >
          > > ---Wayne

          __

          __

          > > Message: 13
          > > Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:13:43 -0000
          > > From: "rodger" <rodgertn4999@y...>
          > > Subject: MDO plywood
          > >
          > > Happy New Year ,to all of you boat builders, got a question, where
          > > can one find MDO plywood, chain store lumber yard or non-chain
          store
          > > lumber yard.. ????? Bayard Cook did a magnificent job on his af4,
          > > need a few sheets to do my af4brev, this year, any help would be
          > > great, i pass by a lowes an home depot, plus there are some non-
          chain
          > > store lumber yards on my why home every nite.. thanks an happy
          boat
          > > building,,,,,, Rodger

          __

          __

          > > Message: 14
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:38:13 -0800 (PST)
          > > From: doc <Malomac@y...>
          > > Subject: Re: Toto and Tip of the Year nomination
          > >
          > > Wayne,,,
          > >
          > > just slip the paint tray into a small trash bag,,,, then when you
          are done
          > you can pull the pan out,,, throw the bag away!!!!!
          > >
          > > Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          > >
          > > doc

          __

          __

          > > Message: 15
          > > Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:35:03 -0000
          > > From: "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...>
          > > Subject: Re: MDO plywood
          > >
          > > Good luck finding the thin stuff.I looked all last week and
          couldnt
          > > find 1/4 or 3/8.You wont find it at a chain store.
          > >

          > > Mike
          > >

          > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rodger" <rodgertn4999@y...>
          wrote:
          > > > Happy New Year ,to all of you boat builders, got a question,
          where
          > > > can one find MDO plywood, chain store lumber yard or non-chain
          > > store
          > > > lumber yard.. ????? Bayard Cook did a magnificent job on his
          af4,
          > > > need a few sheets to do my af4brev, this year, any help would be
          > > > great, i pass by a lowes an home depot, plus there are some non-
          > > chain
          > > > store lumber yards on my why home every nite.. thanks an happy
          boat
          > > > building,,,,,, Rodger

          __

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Josef W. Hennicken
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
            <mariner@n...> wrote:
            >He has been in the
            > hospital since Tuesday morning with a bruised kidney. He is
            confined to
            > complete bed rest in hospital until he is healed.

            My best wishes for his recovery.

            Josef W. Hennicken