Re: [Michalak] G'day , Intro

  • Luke S
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
      I live in the Enoggera area Dave.

      The reason why I asked about available water to use the boat in was an idea I had of moving to a remote area some time ago. No point going if I can't use the boat. Maybe one day,

      Luke S.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
        Luke I know the area well , still have cousins in the area ,

        The problem with areas like this that water is scarce and seasonal , there wasn't any place with in 100 km to paddle a kayak let alone a boat for about a year during the drought , we've been here 9 years and 6 of those years have been in drought , if I had my druthers then I'd be on the coast between Bundaberg and Proserpine , but I'm a bad asthmatic and I moved out here for the dry climate , but I dearly miss the water

        David Wallace

        The reason why I asked about available water to use the boat in was an idea I had of moving to a remote area some time ago. No point going if I can't use the boat. Maybe one day,

        Luke S.

        I can use the Jonsboat in the local water supply dam " Teresa Creek Dam " I can also use it at the Fairburn dam about 120 km away , [ just south of Emerald ] there is also the Burdekin Dam about 250 km north of here , several dams around MacKay and north to Proserpine ,

        I have a brother down on Boyne island south of Gladstone , my parents are building a house at Miriam Vale [ south of Boyne Island ] and another brother next door to them so I will have regular access to some of the best protected waters on the Qld coast

        We had been pretty dry here , we been in drought for about 4 years , but just had some rain recently so our local dam is full

        Where about in Brisbane are you , I used to live in Beachmere .

        David Wallace

        >snipped coz it's getting too long.

      • antec007
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
          As for you not getting messages on your email.
          Go up to the "Edit My Membership" and open it.
          Make sure the right email is chosen and that you have chosen the
          way you want to receive your messages. Either individual or daily if
          you want them to come to your email.
          Then, if you have made any changes, click on Save Changes.

          It sounds like you are going through the list of boats many of us
          have.
          Be careful if you start adding a lot of weight to any of them,
          particularly Jim's Power cruisers.
          The Only way to get good performance with little HP is to build a
          lightweight boat.
          I designed my PK-20 from the AF4-18, and added only a little
          additional weight, but it has effected the performance dramatically.
          My PK was able to plane nicely at about 11mph with an old 15HP motor
          before I added all the amenities. Now it Requires nearly all of the
          33 HP of the motor I was forced to buy to get it up on plane.

          Some of the boats listed there are pure displacement boats and won't
          be bothered by a little extra weight, but the lightweight planing
          boats should be kept that way or you will need to get a much larger
          motor and the boat will not tread so lightly as designed.

          Pat Patteson
          Molalla, Oregon
          PK-20 Designer (Still like saying that.)

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "David Wallace" <swallace@c...>
          wrote:
          > G'day , my name is David Wallace , I'm in Central Queensland in
          > Australia , I just joined a few days ago , although I only seem to
          be
          > able to read the posts on the web so far , not getting any through
          in
          > my email yet ?
          > I've just taken delivery of the plans for the Jonsboat , I bought
          > them through Chuck at Duckworks , this will be my first Michalak
          > design , I've also ordered the plans for the AF4 Grande [ also
          > through Chuck ] , actually it was just after this that I saw the
          web
          > site of Steve Bosquette for the Misser , it looks like a really
          neat
          > idea , I had some thing similar in mind when I ordered the AF4G
          > plans , I just wanted to see the plans to see how it would work
          out ,
          > so I had to buy them of course , I've been looking at the Karl
          > Stambaugh design Redwing 21 pilothouse and also the 23 and really
          > like them but the only thing that worried me was the weight , the
          > AF4G with a Pilothouse looks like it will be considerably lighter ,
          > but I don't have to make a final decision for some time as I still
          > have several other projects to finish first ,
          >
          > Steve if your there , did you run it by Jim Michalak about changing
          > the design before you started building and if so what did he say
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > David W
        • David & Shirley Wallace
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
            Pat

            The messages started coming through just after I made my Intro post , must of been a glitch some down the line , I some times have trouble getting stuff through from Yahoo

            Had a look at the pictures of your PK-20 , I like it , actually I like all boats along those lines , The Redwing 18 by Stambaugh first caught my eye and when I saw the 21 Pilothouse version I was in love , it was not long after that I saw the Michalak designs and noted the similarities between the Redwing 18 and the AF4 , so that started me thinking about putting a pilothouse on a AF4G , and the same day I ordered the plans for the AF4G I saw the web site of Steve Bosquette and that had me even more interested , I'd really like to know how much weight the modifications he's made will add to the base plan , now I realise the added weight will make a difference to planing but as I originally was just looking for a displacement cruiser and only want or need displacement speeds that isn't a real worry

            Any one know what the draught of the AF4G is ?

            David Wallace

            wrote:
            > G'day , my name is David Wallace , I'm in Central Queensland in
            > Australia , I just joined a few days ago , although I only seem to
            be
            > able to read the posts on the web so far , not getting any through
            in
            > my email yet ?
            > I've just taken delivery of the plans for the Jonsboat , I bought
            > them through Chuck at Duckworks , this will be my first Michalak
            > design , I've also ordered the plans for the AF4 Grande [ also
            > through Chuck ] , actually it was just after this that I saw the
            web
            > site of Steve Bosquette for the Misser , it looks like a really
            neat
            > idea , I had some thing similar in mind when I ordered the AF4G
            > plans , I just wanted to see the plans to see how it would work
            out ,
            > so I had to buy them of course , I've been looking at the Karl
            > Stambaugh design Redwing 21 pilothouse and also the 23 and really
            > like them but the only thing that worried me was the weight , the
            > AF4G with a Pilothouse looks like it will be considerably lighter ,
            > but I don't have to make a final decision for some time as I still
            > have several other projects to finish first ,
            >
            > Steve if your there , did you run it by Jim Michalak about changing
            > the design before you started building and if so what did he say
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > David W

          • antec007
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2004
              From my experience it doesn't take a lot of additional weight to turn
              a low powered planing boat into a displacement boat.
              As I said, my bare PK planed easily and with very little transition
              or wake with an old 15 HP motor with a total 2 person crew weight
              under 400. Topped out about 11-12 mph.
              The addition of Mr. Lesh prevented the boat from getting on plane
              with the 15.
              He probably weighs around 225 lbs. (Thanks or Sorry, Terry, depending
              on how close I came.)
              That 225 is about the minimum additional camping gear weight we would
              carry for a couple of days cruising so I knew the 15 was not going to
              be sufficient to plane the PK fully loaded for cruising.
              (Terry didn't know it at the time, but he was my test "Ballast".)
              It would be my best guess that the additional amenities I added in
              building (to what would have been just a 20 foot AF4) added about 300
              lbs.
              Some of that was in the ¾" bottom, that I feel is almost a necessity
              for this boat. The 4"additional cabin height and cabin seats/bed
              added some, and the finished storage compartments also added weight,
              but overall the modifications didn't add a Whole lot of weight..
              Now, it is the much heavier 33HP motor and additional fuel that it
              requires that has added much more weight. (All of that weight in the
              stern.)
              The loaded waterline of my PK is now about 8" at the stern,
              tapering to the heal of the bow forward.
              It floated with the chines barely submerged when I first launched it
              with the 15.
              It would be my guess that a properly trimmed AF4G would actually draw
              a little less than my PK does now. But the OB is going to be the
              lowest part on both boats.

              My best guesstimate/calculation is that my PK will sink about 1" for
              every 300# additional weight. Because of the greater hull volume, it
              will take more than that to sink an AF4g an inch.
              (Maybe some of the more technical types can run some numbers for the
              AF4g and let us know for sure)
              I hadn't seen the 21' Redwing Pilothouse when I began my PK. The
              slight V bottom really looks nice and would have several advantages
              over the flat bottom. The Very Low cabin and displacement hull were
              two reasons I decided against the 18' Redwing, but it sure looks
              nice.
              Jim suggested that I build the first Grande when I built my PK, but
              the 22' sounded a little intimidating to me as I work alone, outside,
              and wasn't going to have any help moving the boat or turning it.
              My original thoughts were of a 16' cruiser, so even the 20 was a lot
              bigger boat.
              It is my Opinion that the Pilothouse version of the Grande is going
              to add too much weight to allow it to plane without a fairly large
              (Heavy) motor.
              As a displacement cruiser the Pilothouse Grande should be quite nice
              and roomy.
              The cabin height of the regular Grande is just about the same as my
              raised cabin version of a 20. (About 44" at the main cabin bulkhead.)
              I have found that height to be just marginal if cabin seats are
              included.
              With the flat bottom windage from the cabin might be a problem for
              the AF4gp, but the additional weight of the cabin should help with
              trim and have more boat in the water forward than my PK.
              The heal of the bow might be submerge and cause some problems
              steering.

              We'll just have to wait and see how Steve's boat behaves.
              So far it is Looking pretty good and at the rate he is going we
              shouldn't have to wait long.

              I think the Ease of Construction of Jim's boats has a lot going for
              them when decision time comes.
              Many of the others require a lot more work with framing.

              IMHO
              Pat Patteson
              Molalla, Oregon

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"

              Service.

            • Steve Bosquette
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2004
                Hi Dave
                I did not run the cabin design by Jim. When I communicated with him
                before buying the plans I was asking about a larger version say 25 or
                28 feet and he was not encouraging about that. I did not pursue it
                further. The Grande does what I need done.

                Steve Bosquette

                > Steve if your there , did you run it by Jim Michalak about changing
                > the design before you started building and if so what did he say
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > David W
              • David & Shirley Wallace
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2004
                  Pat

                  Given that I don't want or need planing , and displacement is what I really need , a bit more weight is fine , The Redwing 18 had a draught of 12" and the 21 a draught of 16" , the places I want to go will be fine with that , all I really want is a boat that will fit my wife and my self for a week or two at a time , I don't really want it to be a camping boat , I want it to be a little more than that , I want some thing set up with a bed [ long enough for me ] a porta - potti , galley and room to put up a temporary enclosed area for a shower , on deck is fine , enough room to move around on deck to fish and crab , slow is fine , the most unprotected place I want to go is the Whitsunday islands , and I'm not real sure I want to go there any more as the place is a circus now days

                  Any one have any idea as to what sort of a keel on the AF4G ? Will extra weight low add to the stability ?

                  Any one know of a easily home made fully opening window suitable for the AF4G ? Where I am and where I'll be taking the boat is rather warm and I'll need plenty of air flow but I'll also need to screen for insects , where I'll be is full of mosquitos and sandflies

                  I'd also like to mount permanent water storage tanks

                  Yeah , I know I'm redesigning the wheel but I need to work out if the AF4G is the boat for me or should I be looking at the Redwing 21 or 23 or maybe the Hercules http://www.glen-l.com/designs/cruiser/hercules.html

                  David Wallace
                  `

                  <swallace@c...> wrote:
                  > Pat
                  >
                  > The messages started coming through just after I made my Intro
                  post , must of been a glitch some down the line , I some times have
                  trouble getting stuff through from Yahoo

                  > Had a look at the pictures of your PK-20 , I like it , actually I
                  like all boats along those lines , The Redwing 18 by Stambaugh first
                  caught my eye and when I saw the 21 Pilothouse version I was in
                  love , it was not long after that I saw the Michalak designs and
                  noted the similarities between the Redwing 18 and the AF4 , so that
                  started me thinking about putting a pilothouse on a AF4G , and the
                  same day I ordered the plans for the AF4G I saw the web site of
                  Steve Bosquette and that had me even more interested , I'd really
                  like to know how much weight the modifications he's made will add to
                  the base plan , now I realise the added weight will make a
                  difference to planing but as I originally was just looking for a
                  displacement cruiser and only want or need displacement speeds that
                  isn't a real worry

                  > Any one know what the draught of the AF4G is ?
                  >
                  > David Wallace

                  Service.