Re: Birdwatcher Designs

  • kakwariver
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2003
    • kakwariver
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2003
        The pics and story of your Jewelbox Jr. are cool Rick. Even my wife
        was impressed! Cruising and camping really looks like fun. And thanks
        Tim and Bill. The info looks good.
        I live in northern Canada and for much of the season lakes are
        deserted and the water is cold so the self-righting features of these
        designs is important to me. Add to that the combination of a
        relatively small boat with a big roomy cabin... And they look like
        they could be comfortable sailing on a cold day.
        Thanks again and so long,
        Mike
      • antec007
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2003
          While my PK-20 is not a real "Birdwatcher" type (more an AF4 Type) it
          does have the slot top, Birdwatcher type cabin.
          I was looking for a comfortable Cruising boat and wanted to have at
          least comfortable "Sitting Height" in the cabin.
          As a cruiser, I knew I would also need lots of storage.

          My PK has a maximum cabin side wall height of about 42" (measured at
          the main cabin bulkhead)

          42 inches is a Lot of cabin sitting height.
          That about the same cabin side height of the new Grande.
          I really didn't like the Idea of sleeping and sitting on the bottom
          of the boat, so I used some of that 42" for raised, side seats with
          room for some Rubbermaid "Tote" storage under the seats.
          That has reduced my sitting headroom to about 36" now.
          That's marginal for me. I'm about 6' tall and I can sit at the
          highest end and just touch my head on the top. A little slouching or
          bending and I don't hit my head. It's OK.
          A simple bridge board that stores on the bottom between the seats
          connects the side seats for a nice double sleeping bag berth that is
          up off the bottom of the boat.

          If I were to build this cabin again I would use the whole 48" plywood
          for the cabin sides and have lots of headroom.
          There were various reasons (mostly wrong) why I decided I Had to
          waste 6" of plywood and cabin height.

          I know I have complained about my PK being blown around at slow
          speeds and the higher (higher than an AF4) is probably part of the
          problem, but I think the excessive weight in the stern and lack of
          much boat in the water at the bow is more the cause.
          The boat tends to weathervane around the stern rather than just being
          blown sideways.

          My boat Is a Powerboat, so the higher cabin height is not so much of
          concern as it would be with a sailboat, but I thought I might give an
          example of how I did my "Birdwatcher type" cabin for comparison.
          Photos of the PK and interior can be seen in the Files Section of
          this group.
          The "Interior Showing Storage, Head and Bed Board Down" shows a good
          look of the interior as seen through the cabin door.

          Pat Patteson
          Molalla, Oregon