Playing with Blocks

  • fogovonslack
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
      Ahoy, all--

      I've been playing with blocks again--no not that kind! I've built a
      number of blocks to rig my gaff-rigged catboat, Skat, that's currently
      under construction. Most are brass-shelled blocks based on a drawing
      in Edson I. Schock's _How_to_Build_Small_Boats_, but 2 are wooden
      rope-stropped blocks of my own devising.

      Photos are available here:
      http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=113785&folderview=thumbs&groupid=147689&ck=

      Tidmarsh Major
      Tuscaloosa, Ala.
    • vectorges@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
        What is the material for the sheaves??

      • fogovonslack
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, vectorges@a... wrote:
          > What is the material for the sheaves??

          I used a sheet of 1/2" UV-resistant VHMW polyethylene. Not quite as
          slick as UHMW polyethylene (aka "Poor Person's Teflon) but UV
          resistant, which seems important on a boat. I'm sure they would have
          been fine as is, but I also pressed in oil-impregnated bronze bushings
          to turn on the pins.

          Tidmarsh
          Tuscaloosa, Ala.