RE: [Michalak] Lead casting

  • Don Burton
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
      This is going to sound weird but it helps really place a little cat litter
      (cheaper the better) on top seems to keep down the smoking and allows you
      skim of the top as well. If you need further endorsement check out the hand
      casting of lead bullet groups.
      Don
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
        Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

        I've poured the sink weights into my centerboard and rudder. They need
        a little smoothing and shaping where I over-filled and where the stell
        plate I used warped from the heat, but I've managed to avoid injuring
        myself in the process, so I'll call it a successful venture.

        I even managed to take a few photos, which I'll post later.

        Tidmarsh Major
        Tuscaloosa, Ala.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fogovonslack" <fogovonslack@y...> wrote:
        > Looks like its time to cast some lead for my centerboard and rudder
        > weights. I got a bucket full of used wheel weights from the tire store
        > yesterday. Some of 'em are pretty dirty & muddy ("turn off the paved
        > road" is a pretty common direction around here).
        >
        > Should I wash them before casting to keep out the impurities, or is
        > that not really necessary?
        >
        > Tidmarsh
        > Tuscaloosa, Ala.
      • fogovonslack
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
          For a few photos, have a look here:
          http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&groupid=147689&folderid=109828&folderview=thumbs&ck=

          For photos and commentary, keep an eye on the Duckworks magazine site.

          Tidmarsh
          Tuscaloosa, Ala.

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fogovonslack" <fogovonslack@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
          >
          > I've poured the sink weights into my centerboard and rudder. They need
          > a little smoothing and shaping where I over-filled and where the stell
          > plate I used warped from the heat, but I've managed to avoid injuring
          > myself in the process, so I'll call it a successful venture.
          >
          > I even managed to take a few photos, which I'll post later.
          >
          > Tidmarsh Major
          > Tuscaloosa, Ala.

        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
            Speaking as someone that worked in a lead smelter and
            had lead poisoning (while using every known safety
            device). I do not know if it is wise to encourage
            home builders to cast molten lead. The risk of fire,
            explosions and lead poisoning is too great.

            It would be possible to cast the lead shot or wheel
            weights into a fiberglass resin and obtain near the
            same results.

            A small note about respirators. Once the cartridges
            are exposed to air they start to lose effectiveness.
            We use to change our cartridges daily. If you are not
            changing your cartridges daily. Place your respirator
            in a zip lock bag, squeeze out the air and it will
            extend the cartridge life.

            When you buy your respirator a safety supply store can
            fit the respirators to your face size and test the
            fit. Just because you are a large person does not mean
            that you take a large respirator maybe you have small
            facial features. It is best to have the respirator
            fit, better places do it for free.
            Lon

          • sctree
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
              Glad to see you took the time to start with everything neat and dry, and
              that fan was a great idea...

              How did you transfer the lead from pot to mold? That's what I found
              tricky, 700 degrees is big time hot.

              Maybe you couldn't, but thinking ahead for others who might give this a
              go, how about flipping those clamps so they were less in the way??

              Rick

              fogovonslack wrote:

              > For a few photos, have a look here:
              > http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&groupid=147689&folderid=109828&folderview=thumbs&ck=
              > <http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&groupid=147689&folderid=109828&folderview=thumbs&ck=>
              >
              > For photos and commentary, keep an eye on the Duckworks magazine site.
              >
              > Tidmarsh
              > Tuscaloosa, Ala.
              >
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fogovonslack" <fogovonslack@y...> wrote:
              > > Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
              > >
              > > I've poured the sink weights into my centerboard and rudder. They need
              > > a little smoothing and shaping where I over-filled and where the stell
              > > plate I used warped from the heat, but I've managed to avoid injuring
              > > myself in the process, so I'll call it a successful venture.
              > >
              > > I even managed to take a few photos, which I'll post later.
              > >
              > > Tidmarsh Major
              > > Tuscaloosa, Ala.
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705884090:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tpj98m3/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178323&partid=4116719>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            • fogovonslack
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:
                > How did you transfer the lead from pot to mold? That's what I found
                > tricky,

                I just poured directly into the molds. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the
                side of the pot to pour from.

                > Maybe you couldn't, but thinking ahead for others who might give this a
                > go, how about flipping those clamps so they were less in the way??

                Not a bad idea. Both pieces had one side without clams in the way, so
                the clamps didn't hinder me much, but it couldn't hurt to flip 'em the
                other way.

                Tidmarsh
              • fogovonslack
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, lon wells <lononriver@y...> wrote:
                  > Speaking as someone that worked in a lead smelter and
                  > had lead poisoning (while using every known safety
                  > device). I do not know if it is wise to encourage
                  > home builders to cast molten lead. The risk of fire,
                  > explosions and lead poisoning is too great.

                  I appreciate your concerns. How much lead exposure does one face
                  casting outside? How much is sufficient to cause lead poisoning?
                  Casting centerboard weights isn't something I plan to hake a habit of.

                  > It would be possible to cast the lead shot or wheel
                  > weights into a fiberglass resin and obtain near the
                  > same results.

                  I'm not sure how well wheel weights would work in this situation,
                  given their large, uneven size, which would leave a lot of empty space
                  to fill with epoxy or other resin. I think lead shot would work
                  perfectly well, though, as I suspect I have more lead than I need cast
                  in place, judging by the weight of the centerboard & rudder.

                  If I have occasion to weight another centerboard, I'll probably use
                  that method rather than casting.

                  Thanks for the helpful advice on respirators.

                  Tidmarsh
                • doc
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                    FWIW,,,,

                    I have added weight to several rudders and always preferred the shot or scrap lead method.. It is so much safer and easier...
                    Just cut out the desired amount of material, cover one side with aluminum foil or waxed paper and fill with lead shot or scraps of tire weights or what have you,,, then pour the cavity full of polyester or epoxy resin..

                    be well,

                    doc

                  • Lincoln Ross
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Long ago I did some lead casting to seal an old fashioned plumbing
                      setup. (You caulk the flange/pipe joint with Oakum and then pour it in.)
                      Later made weights for scuba diving. Anyway, it used to be that plumbing
                      supply places carried nice lead pots, ladles, etc. One nice feature is
                      they don't look like food pots. We had one idiot in the house who melted
                      lead in a fry pan and then didn't want to toss the pan, claiming it was
                      well seasoned and wouldn't pick up any lead! I smashed it. We had an
                      industrial stove and a really strong hood fan so it was no big deal to
                      do it in the kitchen. But there was a certain anxiety walking down the
                      hall to the bathroom with a few pounds of molten lead, hoping no one
                      came rushing down the stairs. We had another idiot who used the giant
                      metal salad bowl to dip boards in wood preservative (of a type since
                      removed from the market for excessive toxicity). But that's another
                      story which may explain why I'm not smarter.