hull stiffness

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi-

      We have unexpected modifications on our campjon. Mister inspector
      (guy who registers boats) told that we have to make floatation boxes
      with Holt covers to register the boat. So I`m working on it, closing
      about half a space under bow deck, and all space under aft deck,
      covering back access hole. This gives about 180 liters of floatation
      reserve. I'll send pictures of that detail soon.

      Another thing is discovery that boat has no stiffness: when I rise
      one corner about 1-1/4 inch, three other ones are still lying on the
      floor. Is it all right? Campjoners? Jonsboaters? Anyway I decided to
      add another sheet of plywood on the floor, laminating it with epoxy,
      what should help the boat survive on Vistula rocks and sunken trees,
      either.

      -Wojtek
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        > Another thing is discovery that boat has no stiffness: when I rise
        > one corner about 1-1/4 inch, three other ones are still lying on the
        > floor. Is it all right? Campjoners? Jonsboaters? Anyway I decided
        > add another sheet of plywood on the floor, laminating it with epoxy,
        > what should help the boat survive on Vistula rocks and sunken trees,
        > either.
        >
        > -Wojtek

        The second sheet of plywood will stiffen it up, at
        a cost in weight and maybe speed.

        Other changes that might help would be adding an extra
        lamination to the gunnels, and/or adding a deeper "keel"
        underneath the hull.

        That amount of flex is probably not big problem. I have
        followed Jim M when he used to trailer his AF4 on a trailer
        with transvers bunks that gave little support to the
        stern of the boat, and I noticed that the stern-end of the boat
        would "waggle" a bit back and forth as it rolled down the road.

        I believe that the campjohn from the southern Hemesphere has
        had a bit of reinforcing done to the transom- I believe ther
        are some photos posted somewhere around these groups.

        Max
      • Luke S
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          Wojtek,
          I have never done the "lift one corner" test so I can't really say if it
          flexes or not. I did notice that the boat was lacking stiffness until the
          cabin beams, front deck and outboard well were installed. It seemed OK after
          that.

          luke S.