Sneakerbox

  • b_owen_ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2003
      Does anyone know if a Sneakerbox has been built and rigged for sail?
      Jim M. has suggested a lateen rig. I'm hoping to get some info about
      the boat and the rigging so any feedback on either line is
      appreciated.

      Bryant
    • Joe Tribulato
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Any new builds since the prototype? A search here and google found
        none. I like the straight chine line that bisects the bottom and side
        on the section drawing. This will equalize the pressure of flow past
        those two panels and reduce eddying and resultant drag. Seems like a
        useful concept. I wonder if it makes much difference in practical
        terms? I think it would be exciting to sail in a good breeze.
      • grahamparton@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2014

          Are those reef points or tell tales on the line drawing (Sneakerbox).

          Also, I think Sneakerbox is a row first sail second design, but how well would she actually sail? Highly manouverable yes, but what about other expected sailing characteristics.

          I would like to have a go at building one but would like to offset the daggerboard to port. Do you think that would interfere with sitting on the side decks too much when sailing?

          Cheers, Graham in West Oz

        • John Trussell
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2014

            Those are reef points.

            Sneaker is a small boat with a short waterline. She should point, reach, or run as well as any small boat, but her top speed will not be very high.

            An offset dagger board would only be in the way if it was raised, Use a piece if line for a handle—

            Sneaker box is derived from various very low, decked boats used for duck hunting on the New Jersey coast. These included the Melon Seed, the Barnegat Bay Sneak Box, And a small decked garvey from which Sneaker Box is derived. These boats served as maneuverable duck blinds and the hunter would recline in the bottom with reeds placed on the deck for concealment.

            Have fun.

            JohnT

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2014

              Thanks John,

              How would Sneakerbox compare with say Mixer in terms of performance? I like the look of both but really like Sneakerbox's historical antecedents.

              Cheers, Graham

              Cheers Graham

              Sent from Yahoo!7 Mail on Android

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2014

                Sneakerbox is a plywood adaption of a traditional duck hunting boat called a gunning garvey. It has large, curved side decks and a small cockpit. You would sail Sneakerbox while sitting on the side decks with your feet in the cockpit. Sneakerbox has a flat bottom and has pretty good initial stability, so you could probably stand up in it to make a cast.

                Mixer (I had one) has decks fore and aft, with a wide open cockpit. You sail Mixer while sitting on the bottom of the boat. Mixer has a five panel hull (bottom, bilge panels, and sides) and so has a little less initial stability. However, Mixer has a narrower waterline beam and so is probably easier to row. Mixer has a longer waterline length and would have a higher displacement speed.

                Construction time for both boats is probably comparable—Mixer has the bilge panels while Sneakerbox has the decks and the dagger board trunk. I think that the decks on Sneakerbox would increase plywood usage and weight.

                You can carry a passenger with Mixer; I’m not sure where a passenger would sit in Sneakerbox.

                Jim offers a number of very small boats. All of these boats are suitable for use on sheltered water in light to moderate conditions. Some boats are compromised to rowing performance (though they can sail) while others are compromised toward sailing performance (though they can be rowed). In the end, it boils down to personal tastes and needs. Jim’s plans are very inexpensive and I like to build models using posterboard and masking tape to see the boat in 3 D and figure out where everything goes.

                Have fun.

                JohnT